Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums I work for a food bank and we have an old Globe 3600 slicer that makes A LOT of noise. It may be the bearing on the rear of the motor.  What should I do?

• ectofix

November 11, 2016 at 7:45 am

Your slicer will need to be taken to a service company that can rebuild it.

The noise you hear COULD be the motor (as you said).  More than likely, it’s the knife shaft bearings instead.  Particularly the upper bearing (behind the knife) – which is the usual culprit due to its vulnerability to water intrusion.

Another place the noise might be coming from is the gear case.  That slicer’s motor drives the knife shaft through a set of gears.  One is made out of brass so that it’s sacrificial (can break) in case the slicer somehow gets seized up.  That gear might be failing.

Addressing your problem isn’t a quick fix and IS a messy proposition.  That’s why you should take to a company to have it rebuilt.

Here’s the parts manual on it:

http://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/GLO-3600_pm.pdf 

• martin-spahn

November 12, 2016 at 7:40 am

Greetings.  Thank you for your informative reply.  Are there any service

providers in my area: Augusta, Maine?  I have disassembled the unit

before.  How do I remove the bearing behind the knife?  Thanks for your

help!

Sincerely, Martin Spahn, AFB

• ectofix

November 12, 2016 at 5:46 pm

For a service provider, I went to the Globe’s website and found this page:

Globe Food Equipment Company – Locate an Authorized Servicer 

I used a 04330 zip and found this place 46 miles away – in Gray ME:

Pine Tree Food Equipment | Quality Commercial Kitchen Service in Maine & New England 

For future reference, most equipment manufacturers will have a page on their website for finding a service provider for their equipment.

So…call Pine Tree for your options.  If they do in-shop repairs, I suggest taking it to them to avoid a trip charge.

How do you remove the bearing behind the knife?  Honestly, I haven’t work on one in MANY years.

No doubt that you should remove the upper bearing retainer first.  To get to it, carefully remove the knife and you’ll be looking at this:  Image Viewer 

Remove the screws and hopefully that upper bearing retainer and the knife shaft with all its attached parts will lift right out. 

Seems like I’ve had to remove the motor too – especially since that’s necessary to change its gears.  Also to clean out the gear case of old grease and lubricate it again.  If the gears are worn, you’ll want to remove all traces of the old grease, since it’ll have metal shavings in it.

The upper and lower bearings will be pressed onto the shaft and into the bearing retainer.  If the upper bearing is REALLY bad, it might be locked into place by corrosion.  The corrosion can get pretty bad, leaving little to work with for pull the bearing.  There’s tricks to get what’s left of it off.  But like I said, it can get messy.  There’s a possibility that the shaft and upper bearing retainer might be damaged too.

I sure seem to remember, on at least one occasion, I found it far more practical to simply replace the shaft, upper bearing retainer, bearings and all…due to the damage caused by the corrosion.

BUT…it’s been so long  ago.

• olivero

November 12, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Before you freak out and get it serviced read my book below

Globe has a lifetime warranty on their blade gears, what most likely happened to yours is that your little plastic/nylon/magic rubber or whatever its made of, got caught or jammed somehow and started shredding. LUCKILY for you, its free from Globe and they got a glorious lifetime warranty for those babies.

So here’s how its done, First of all, you are going to need to remove the blade, now before you grab your 6 foot pipe wrench and a rag to try to get the blade off and then wonder, if that’s really the way (I did that) just look under the blade that Ectofix posted, the little notch you can see on that part is a notch that is used to remove the retaining nut that holds the blade. So you stick your allen wrench or whatever you got, a small flat head, something strong into that notch, grab a socket or crescent or open end wrench and crank that nut off, just be careful with the blade as its sharp.

Then you will see what Ectofix posted without the blade, then you remove the 4 screws and there is a seal, keep that seal if it still exists. Then you should be looking at a gear after that, or you pulled one out with it, can’t remember and then you have the lovely C-Clip on the end of the shaft of the motor which has a gear attached to it which spins a metal gear, one of the 2 are plastic and sacrificial I guess. One of my 3 units had the problem of the C-clip falling off which allowed one of the gears to slide and wrecked the nylon gear, spent 30 minutes cleaning it up and re-grooving it as good as I could and it still works today. But got 2 more gears from Globe for free to replace it as I was expecting it to go bad.

NOW, since you did not say much about the noise, let me ask you this; Is it a metal grinding sound or a crunching sound or a high pitch metal on metal sound? Since I explained the crunching one just now let me mention another problem you might have.

It is possible that your blade guard is hitting your blade, you can tell by  the fact that the sound is coming right from the blade and if you push on the guard, it gets louder or the blade slows or something like that, you should be able to tell, if you can’t tell then you definetley need to bring it in for service. Anyways, If that’s the case, remove the nut all the same way as above but leave the blade on. When looking at the blade without the guard, there is a little plastic rod sticking out of the nut (guess what it is) its a spacer. That spacer’s spacing is determined by a set screw that can be accessed from the backside of the nut, you just give the socket set crew a turn or a half and put the nut back on and try it, should be until you can push on the guard without it hitting the blade (imitate a slab of meat, don’t try to handstand on it) and that, my friend. Should handle your problem.

If it is the motor, then get back to us but check these 2 first, Its an induction motor and the rear of the mottor is pretty far away (relatively) from the blade so if you can locate the sound from the motor to the blade, that will give you a place to start.

• martin-spahn

November 14, 2016 at 3:13 am

Greetings.  Thank you very much.

Sincerely, Martin Spahn

• olivero

November 14, 2016 at 8:42 am

Let us know how it goes though, I am curious.

• martin-spahn

November 16, 2016 at 4:43 am

Greetings.  Thanks for your help.