Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Lincoln 1301 357067 Thermostat, Capillary

• Lincoln 1301 357067 Thermostat, Capillary

Posted by guest on February 10, 2017 at 12:00 am

The thermostat has to be reset multiple times a day.  The service manual tells how to replace it but I would like to know what might be closing it.  Looking in through the oven opening, it appears to be clean and properly positioned.  How do I tell if it is just worn out or there is another problem.

Thanks

Jay

guest replied 7 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ectofix

February 10, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Jay, that high limit is normally closed and opens at 660°F (330°C).   If you’re absolutely certain that the oven isn’t exceeding that, then the high limit could be faulty.  Just because it’s clean and mounted properly doesn’t mean it can’t fail.  It has a gas charged capillary and bulb that might have leaked a little over time.

The service manual has a procedure for properly testing the oven’s temperature using proper test equipment.

By design, a high-limit is fail-safe.  What I mean is that if its gas charge leaked out, the high-limit will fail and prevent unit operation.

I DO encourage you to be sure the oven is clean, though.  Clogged fingers can have odd effects on airflow and the oven’s heating characteristics.  I don’t know if that can become so significant that it would trip the high limit, but I DO know that not cleaning the oven can cause a number of other problems.

February 11, 2017 at 8:18 am

I traded out the oven in the restaurant with one from the shop where I do most of the repairs.  The cooks and owner said they had to reset the switch about every 15 minutes.  I ran the oven for over two hours and never had an issue.  Am thinking now it was the placement of the oven.  There were two stacked and this was the bottom oven and that could have been the problem.  Everything was as it should be for stacked ovens and the replacement is working fine.  I have looked at other ovens I disassembled for parts and it looks like a tricky task to replace the thermocouple.

They are getting ready to replace the Lincolns with TurboChef High h batch ovens.  Partly because of electrical issues in one of their restaurants which contributed to the destruction of 5 Lincolns.  Seems TurboChef ovens have a power regulator which has protected their circuits and motors.  They have three in one restaurant and are extremely happy with them.

Thanks for your input, it is really helpful.  I salvaged two ovens with bad fan motors to repair three other ovens.  Looked up prices for parts for the ovens I salvaged and can buy new parts and have two more good ovens for about $1,500 total for the pair.  My time is my own – semi retired – so, that is not an issue.  Just wondering if it would be worth it?

Thanks

Jay