Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums I have a Champion dishwasher model #60kb and i am blowing the 3 fuses on the one side about every 2 weeks???

• olivero

December 8, 2016 at 11:24 am

What does “on the one side” mean?

What are the fuses for?

• ectofix

December 8, 2016 at 9:34 pm

I haven’t a clue where your fuses are geographically.  If you say they’re “on the one side”, I’ve nothing to verify or contradict that.

From the unit’s schematic, I DO see where fuses are ELECTRICALLY.  According to the schematic, there are three fuses – one for each input line to the contactor feeding the heating elements.  Within this manual is a schematic.  Probably the same schematic that’s affixed to a panel within the machine’s control box:

http://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/CHA-KB_spm.pdf 

So the fuses blow every two weeks?  ALL of them…or just one here and, two weeks later, another one?

You said the “elements check out okay.”  So you’ve verified that they have proper resistance, proper input voltage, proper amp draw and no indication of insulation breakdown as tested using a voltmeter, ohmmeter, ammeter and a meg-ohmmeter?

If that’s the case, then I’d suspect a poor fuseblock connection causing the fuse to get hot under an electrical load and opening.  That can quickly be revealed by doing some strategic voltage drop tests across the fuseblock…or by getting a temperature sample of the connections while under load through the use of an IR thermometer or a thermal imaging camera.  Any one of those three devices will certainly reveal a faulty fuseholder connection.

If you have NONE of these items of test equipment or the knowledge of how to use them, then you need to call a service company to diagnose your problem.

• fixbear

December 9, 2016 at 4:22 am

Are you referring to the block behind the right post and swing door or the one on the swing panel? Or the transformer block.

• ectofix

December 9, 2016 at 10:00 am

I took a geography lesson.

Here’s the fuse locations.  Tank heating element fuses circled in GREEN.  Transformer fuses circled in RED:

• olivero

December 9, 2016 at 3:48 pm

I have the same problem with my STPCW-30 dishwasher from Stero.

Don’t ask me about it, because If I get started I can’t stop. All I am going to do is share 2 thermal pictures of the fuses .

• olivero

December 9, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Oh, and let me guess. The control transformer drops the voltage down to 120V from 208 or 240?

• jkmorris78

December 9, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Thank you for all the input. After tearing into the unit I discovered that from the lack of maintenance, the 1 element (3 elements in one) was so encased in residue that it was either shorting out or over heating. After a thorough cleaning …problem solved.

• fixbear

December 9, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Makes sense, the booster is right behind the fuse block. Bet you had a good time getting all the minerals  out.

• olivero

December 9, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Oh well, I guess all my ranting was for nothing then lol