Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Cm101 oven

• badbozo2315

November 4, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Isn’t that just the goofiest place for a usb stick port? However, I can show you several Chicken Fillet Garland clam grills with covered usb ports right on the front that are damaged and or filled with butter and grease and gawd knows what. I always take off the panel and go right to the control computer to update software.

Truthfully I don’t know on the new small one. Big ones are still on the bottom.  We got the sales pitch this first go round. Soon we get the tech info.

>What is the computer access on the front?

On the Alto or the Rational? The Alto is perfect. 1 phillips head screw at the top releases a catch, computer lifts out and hangs on brackets.

On the Rational, I think I remember hearing something about not needing a hex key to get to the computer, and it hanging like an Alto with great access.

We went to install a 61E at a Hooting place earlier in the week. When we got it unboxed, I’m like wtf? No we or 5 senses, but what’s an Self Cooking Center xs?

Fat, dumb and happy, I stick in my 6.0.081 usb update stick, light her up, and the oven goes, like, no thanks. We checked the existing software and it was 7.something.

Then we got the webinar intro pitch the day after.  Go figure… 

• ectofix

November 4, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Maybe he’s speaking of where the USB stick can be inserted for HACCP data, downloading/uploading recipes, etc.

Unfortunately, Rational’s USB port is UNDER the front-left panel (like—under the oven!).  Looks like AltoShaam put theirs in a far more logical, user-friendly location.  Right by the control panel.

• ectofix

November 8, 2016 at 5:57 pm

olivero wrote:

I care more about the ovens operation and maintenance needs as that’s really a main factor when you cook for 2500 people morning, lunch and dinner every day of the week. The chefs here are cooking all day long so when the oven goes down, I got to get it back up as fast as possible.

Heck olivero, it sounds like you work at a place like mine.  We won’t name names of where we work though.

Our banquet kitchen has four 202 combi-ovens abreast (and they want a fifth) and a set 101 counter top ovens.  Each group of combi-ovens book-end a cook line occupied by several tilt skillets, multiple large steam kettles (and a small one), a VERY wide griddle and miscellaneous GAS-fired stuff.  A double-stacked set of 480v Boldgetts and a Hobart floor mixer (HL1400 for doing their mashed taters) are excluded from the necessity of hood coverage.  All that faces AMPLE stainless steel, casterized tables, 480v bain-maries and a fleet of banquet warming cabinets awaiting their loads of hot food for transport to their assigned event halls.

If I happen to have the time on a given day, I might pop my head in there to look things over to ask about any problems…and also ask “How many you feeding TODAY?”

“3000 for lunch.”

“Oh…well if I get in the way, let me know.”

Usually that would be an abbreviated visit and I’d just dance my way outta there to dodge everyone scurrying about.  I REALLY don’t want to be there when it’s that crazy. 

Here’s those 202s over about a year ago.  The twenty-two year old behemoth on the left (a Rational CCC-202) is now retired as a back up.  It was recently replaced by a new one like the two on the right.

• olivero

November 8, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Aint bad, aint bad at all.

Sure sounds similar, we got more tilt skillets and kettles than we do Combis currently, got 2, 72″ flat tops, 3, 30 something ”  grills, 1 doulbe deck cleveland steamer, 3, 100 gallon steam jacket kettles 1 with the agitator and 3, SGL-40 tilts thats the hot part of the kitchen as well as 2 cleveland combis and 1 double deck vulcan oven and 1, 3 bin Frymaster deep fryer with their fancy filter system. Got another 3 sections but that’s the main.

Looks like i am not the only one with the problem of the hood being too short to reach the door of the oven… so annoying, considered building and welding in a small canopy type hood SPECIFICALLY for the combi, but figured some things might move in the future and it would be messed up then.

Well, one thing I am a big fan of is cool designs, Alto-Shaam’s got that cool handle that’s LED lit which really got me lol.

Are those units 366K BTU?

• ectofix

November 9, 2016 at 6:56 pm

olivero wrote:

Aint bad, aint bad at all.

Are those units 366K BTU?

You made me look at spec sheet.  Rational rates everything in KW.  Even our gas units.

AltoShaam rivals Cleveland’s old Convotherms in terms of heat production.  AltoShaam exceeds all present-day competitor’s models though.

My Rational 202s are rated for 62KW, which is about 212K Btu.  AltoShaam is the big dog in the market for heat production at 266K Btu (not 366), which equals to around 72KW.  Most other competitors fall short of Rational and AltoShaam in that comparison.

You mentioned a mixer kettle. That sounds almost industrial-strength.  That is a realm of food service that I was not familiar with before I started working here five years ago.

We have a completely separate facility on property that does LARGE scale food preparation…as ordered up by the restaurants.  Soups, stews, par-cooked or smoked meats (slices, diced, shredded or NOT), salad-like food stuff, breads, rolls, desserts and I-don’t-know-what-else.  Delivered daily in refrigerated trucks in bags/pans, on pallets or speed racks – to meet each restaurant’s needs for that day.

This building includes:

A hot kitchen – with two behemoth Enviro-pak smokers, three 100 gallon Cleveland cook/chill mixer-kettles with metered filling stations (food pumpers), a Cleveland tumble chiller, vacuum sealers, MANY slicers… and other run-of-the-mill cooking appliances.   FACTORY-sized walk-ins EVERYWHERE (to accommodate forklifts) and several roll-through blast chillers.  Their W/I freezer could enclose my two-story HOUSE…with room to spare.
    A cold kitchen – with some vicious and noisy veggie dicing and meat shredding devices (made by Urschel) that rival large chipper/shredders for their intensity.  Floor food processors of every kind. They also have their own butcher shop…with all the equipment which that entails. A bakery – ran by a French Chef who (for some reason) prefers every machine they use to be one he ordered from Europe (except the fleet of old Hobart floor mixers).  I think he only shops from the Gemini Bakery Equipment Company catalog.  Spiral mixers, various dough sheeters and formers, scales (apparently a MUST in a bakery), four Sveba-Dahlen rack ovens, a Wachtel deck oven, a roll-through proofer, numerous bread or dessert cutters and slicers. Their ever-important item is the Werner and Pfleiderer (WP) Miniroll production line.  That monstrosity is like a printing press for making thousands of perfectly formed dinner rolls a day.

That “facility” is quite the challenge when compared to what I formerly did a field service tech.  Food-factory-like (mass production) equipment was NOT where I “cut my teeth” in my first fifteen years of doing this stuff.  Forms of energy abound as well.  Not just the typical electrical or gas-fired cooking equipment.  480v is everywhere.  90 psi live steam is predominant too…and pneumatically operated stuff.  

Automation.

Computer touch screens (just replaced a VERY expensive one of those in a meat smoker today). 
    PLCs. VFDs. PIDs.

All that are types of controls that’s new terminology for me.  Some requiring reference to the digital realm of electrical training from a college class I blasted through twenty-five years ago (in my thirties) – that is only vaguely helping me with TODAY.

But we learn (re-learn) as we go.  I guess I’ll never get bored (unless I retire)…since new conquests present themselves QUITE frequently.

OH…and for some semblance of keeping on topic.  They have three 202 combi-ovens there in that “facility”.  The two in the hot kitchen pre-cooks ALLOT of bacon for the restaurants.  I never paid attention to what else.  I just like the bacon.

I think the bakery uses their one 202 for small orders of cheesecake or whatever.

• olivero

November 9, 2016 at 7:04 pm

HAha, sounds like quite a plce indeed. I guess we do have that in common, we got our hands full

I have been working on walk ins all day today, no fancy screen changing for me but I appreciate the information on the ovens Really want to make sure I get the best one for this kitchen, tried of having problems with them.

• badbozo2315

November 9, 2016 at 8:30 pm

I still say, I don’t know how you sleep at night, 2nd shift help or not. 

I do miss all that bakery equipment with your french chef. Something magical about silos of raw flour, yeast, heat and time. The smells of fresh hot bread…

• olivero

November 9, 2016 at 8:38 pm

We got a bakery here too, love doing work in there. Smells sooo good.

Page 2 of 2