Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Jackson temp star

• Jackson temp star

Posted by guest on November 4, 2016 at 12:00 am

I have a Jackson temp star dishwasher. If I convert it to 220 1phase can I by pass heaters and run off 140 degree water heater to lower amperage the dishwasher needs to operate?

ectofix replied 7 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • ectofix

November 5, 2016 at 9:48 am

So, you’re wanting the convert your Tempstar to a low-temp machine in order to avoid installing a single-phase, 100a electrical service to it?  I take it you don’t have 3-phase then?

I’ll only answer in a way I know to be a correct response to your intentions. 

Regarding conversion to single-phase:

Per Jackson, the machine is field convertible.  However, they require use of a phase conversion kit.  The kit includes proper decals that should be applied to reflect accurate schematic and a correct “Wired For” decal applied near the electrical power inlet.

Regarding bypassing the heating elements:

Although that can be very simply done, you’re then altering the wiring again…and in a way that doesn’t match the diagram.  Doing that negates any certifications it had when it left the factory, since you’re altering the unit from its original design.  Additionally, somewhere down the road someone will come behind you and FIX that little wiring modification that didn’t match the diagram.  Then they’re gonna have a machine over-amping the electrical service and tripping the breaker.

One other note about this.  By code, a sticker on the machine shows its designed performance characteristics (water temps and pressure).  Once you eliminate elements, it will never again meet those numbers.  If the temperature gauges don’t meet or exceed the designed temperature parameters shown on that sticker, then that’s a health code violation.

If you’re really wanting to do what you say, then I suggest that you call Jackson about your intentions.  Maybe they can help you do it with proper blessings.

One last thing.   The Jackson model Tempstar LT (for low temp) still uses heating elements in the wash tank.  So, even if you modified your machine into being a low-temp one that matches that Tempstar LT machine, it’d still require a 35a service (single-phase) to it to operate those elements. 

Only “dump and fill” machines (like the Jackson Conserver) can be expected to perform per health code regs WITHOUT using heating elements, since they dump their wash water between cycles.  I don’t think the Tempstar is a dump and fill machine, so it requires wash tank elements to maintain proper wash water temp.

• fixbear

November 5, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Your accrual cost of operation with a low temp machine will be higher than the electric upgrade. The cost of low temp chemicals are a lot higher than high temp. Your dishware will also not dry as quick or well and require a long rack drying time. Food inspectors do check wash temp, so check their requirements as well. Don’t forget the time lag on hot water into the machine from your hot water source. Especially at start up and then again each cycle. Some high temp machines will not be at the ready till tank is full and at temp.

As for eliminating the heat, just the simple removal of the armature wire on the heating relay will do that and be easy to replace/rewire.Make sure to insulate it.

Basically you would have a Conserver with the benefit of tank heat. You will still have to provide enough power for the tank heater and pump.

• lippy2004

November 5, 2016 at 8:23 pm

The tempstar I own. I am trying to convert to wash 4gal square buckets and lids that are not to be used in food industry. We wash about 20,000 each year not enough to buy a true bucket washer at $14,000. don’t need sanitizing just cleaning. but thank you for your comments

• fixbear

November 6, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Even so, you will need hot water for it to clean effectively. You will have to replace the motor with a single phase one and I’m not sure if it uses the same pump impeller and housings  Jackson can tell you more, or your service manual/ parts. If the machine is up to par, it will toss your buckets around inside unless you find a way to anchor them.

• ectofix

November 6, 2016 at 8:06 pm

I looked at that.  The motor is already single-phase.  Only the elements would need re-strapped from three-phase to single-phase.

I doubt the buckets will get tossed.

Had he’d said what his intentions were for that machine beforehand, I wouldn’t of wasted my time with such proper elaboration.

My bad…and I’m done with this one.