Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Temp control?

• Temp control?

Posted by guest on August 27, 2016 at 12:00 am

How would l convert a True model t-23 refrigerator into a feeezer? I think I just need to change the temperature control?

olivero replied 7 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ectofix

August 27, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Just changing the thermostat does NOT make it a freezer.

Although a T-23 cooler & a T-23F (freezer) looks identical on the outside, that’s the ONLY similarity.  ALL of their internal functional components are completely different.

Examples:

Their refrigeration systems – A COOLER is designed to operate in the 33° to 38°F range.  When forced to run colder, its system’s refrigerant (R134A) flow would slow to a crawl (due to diminished pressure), resulting in substantial loss in heat load-carrying ability. A FREEZER uses to an entirely different system.  By virtue of its different refrigerant (R404A), its system can still maintain proper pressure and refrigerant flow for proper heat loading-carrying capacity – even at -10°F. A FREEZER must have a defrost system – Essentially, it’s wired completely different than a cooler for a defrost clock, heating element and a DTFD switch Defrost is absolutely VITAL for a freezer to still be a freezer for more than a day or two.

Additionally, the FREEZER’S door and/or door-frame will have a heater around its perimeter to prevent it from icing up and freezing shut.

It’d be FAR more expensive to CONVERT the box to a freezer than to just simply BUY a freezer.

• buddy-moore

December 2, 2016 at 7:36 pm

I agree 100%. Also the evap coil is probably designed differently and th compressor is also different. 

Youd use be better off buying another unit. 

• olivero

December 3, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Not even mentioning the design for TD and coil size, compressor capacity , condesner and evap capacity etc. etc.

If you were doing it all yourself it MIGHT be a couple of bucks cheaper but you would be much happier with a new unit.