Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums condensation leaks ito interior and not through to drip pan..no way into collection pan which i believe must of rusted out..can i drill a small weep drain through the interior cabinet floor directly into the drain evaporater pan

• fixbear

December 31, 2016 at 11:47 am

The condensate pan is directly behind the condenser unit so that the hot air from the condenser evaporates the water. It is usually plastic and doesn’t rust out. However The evaporator drain line clip sometimes gets moved so that the water goes on the floor.

If you are experiencing water inside the box, the drain line goes out the back and down under a metal channel. Machine must be level for the drains to work correctly and clean. Sometimes a storage of a open product causes a mold to form on the evaporator that then plugs the drain line. Easily blown out. Open acid based items like tomato sauce corrode coils and pans. Always demand everything be covered or repair cost will be high down the road.. 

If the evaporator pan is corroded and has a hole, replace or repair is the best solution. To repair, refrigeration houses have a white spray material and screen cloth. to fill holes. True has used both aluminum pans and painted steel. The aluminum is more delicate and can crack on the sides if forced. when removing the drain hose be sure to free it with a hemorrhoid tool so that you don’t break the crimp seal of the fitting to the pan.Will leak if you do.

• fixbear

January 1, 2017 at 5:12 pm

I’m sorry, I didn’t answer part of your question.

Do not drill a hole into the bottom of the cooler. if you do One the floor will rust out. 2 you will open the storage compartment to outside contamination. 3 the health inspectors will catch it and condemn your cooler and possibly fine you. The evaporator drain does have a trap at the bottom just for this reason You would be surprised at what can find it’s way inside without the trap. It is also why the drains get plugged.

• davejohnsonnola

January 9, 2017 at 11:15 am

“hemorrhoid tool” ???

Hemorrhoid Suction Ligator Rectal Surgical Instruments | eBay 

Good tip on the acidic food storage. I have always been getting on kitchen staff about covering steam pans and other containers strictly from a food handling safety angle, never realizing that there was potential for damage to refrigeration equipment.

• fixbear

January 9, 2017 at 1:05 pm

It’s a knick name that mechanics have used for a hose loosening tool that is pointed and has a bend to get under the hose and slide around the nipple to break it free.

As for acids eating up evaporators, I had a customer with a pizza prep table made in NYC with a marble top and free coils that hung  between the doors that  the open pizza sauce ate away and filled with pinholes. No Fans to dry out the dough. Convection cooling at it’s best.