Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Hello, I have a machine model CSW1 and the ice of this factory not very quickly? I checked the cutting grid and I read 11 volt ac on the multimeter and I measured 5.5 ohms.Are there any other aspects validated to findmy problem.Thank you

• Hello, I have a machine model CSW1 and the ice of this factory not very quickly? I checked the cutting grid and I read 11 volt ac on the multimeter and I measured 5.5 ohms.Are there any other aspects validated to findmy problem.Thank you

Posted by guest on October 2, 2017 at 12:00 am

Hello, I have a machine model CSW1 and the ice of this factory not very quickly? I checked the cutting grid and I read 11 volt ac on the multimeter and I measured 5.5 ohms.Are there any other aspects validated to findmy problem.Thank you

fixbear replied 6 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • john

October 2, 2017 at 12:34 pm

I found a manual for the Scotsman CSW1 on their website at this link, I highly recommend downloading it for your records:

http://www.scotsman-ice.com/service/HistoricalDocuments/csw1.pdf 

We’ve got a service parts manual on Parts Town with all the part numbers as well:

http://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/SC-SCW1_pm.pdf 

This machine is rather old as far as ice machines go. With that in mind, definitely check the cleanliness of the water and freezing system components for scale buildup and the finned condenser for dust or other blockages. 

I searched a few of these parts, and a handful came up NLA (no longer available), so keep that in mind if you’re looking to get into major service.

This unit’s manual specifies that if the room temperature is very high (over 90F, 32C) that ice production will be low. Unfortunately, many kitchens do get that hot.

Finally, that this unit doesn’t make much ice is relative. The bin capacity is only 35 lbs, and the whole unit shipped at 120 lbs. You’re just not going to get massive amounts of ice out of it.

I hope this helps!

-John

• fixbear

October 2, 2017 at 3:26 pm

This is funny, as I have one in the yard right now.  First off you say it makes ice slowly.  Question is, is it slow to make the ice or slow to cube it.  Eleven volts is high, they normally run about 8.5 under load.  So you probably have a connection problem at the plug or one of the wires is open  Do a current test with a ampmeter.  If one wire is not hot, the sheet will just bridge and not cube. Is the machine a cubelet or cube. The cube the wiring is in series. but the cubelet parallels longitudinal and lateral grids. The other thing you have to watch out for is a short to the frame. Make sure to not only ohm the circuit, but to also check to the frame.  The insulators do break with time. They also get a algea bloom or fungal across that holds moisture and shorts.

I will tel you that this machine is a old old R12 unit and uses a lot more power than today’s.  Also the harvest thermostat is no longer made or available.