Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums I cannot control the temp in my oven

• I cannot control the temp in my oven

Posted by guest on May 18, 2018 at 12:00 am

I own an older vulcan Model 60FTL70 double oven range. The left oven shoots straight to top temp when I turn it on (I cannot regulate temp). How do I know if its a thermo couplar, or the thermostat, or something else?

fixbear replied 5 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ectofix

May 18, 2018 at 9:10 am

I have family up in your area of MO (Grant City, St Joseph, KC).  My mother grew up in Stanberry and my cousins still gather there each year for a reunion.

Your problem will be the thermostat.  However, I’ll highly recommend that you don’t replace it yourself.   It’s probably a BJWA thermostat and requires a specific procedure for installation and setup.  If not done right, it won’t work right.

I know you’re in the middle of nowhere, but you should get a service company to make the repairs.  Here’s some companies in your area:

Hobart

Des Moines, IA Branch

1616 Ohio Street

Des Moines, IA 50314

Phone: 515-283-8370

Kansas City, KS Branch

10631 Summit Street

Lenexa, KS 66215

Phone: 913-469-9600

Independent

Food Equipment Repair

1925 McGee

Kansas City, MO 64108

Phone: 800-397-2381

Goodwin Tucker Group

2900 Delaware Ave

Des Moines, IA 50316

Phone: 800-372-6066

goodwintucker.com

• fixbear

May 18, 2018 at 9:29 am

Ok,  This oven uses a BJWA thermostat.  The range was discontinued in 1991.  Part of there economy line. 

Is the flame reducing to just 1/8 nubs on the burner or staying on high setting?  If once the oven is preheated to say 450, watch the burner as you turn the thermostat down to 200. The flame should reduce to just a minimum on the burner.  If not the capillary bulb or tubing has been damaged and there is no pressure on the diaphragm to cut back the gas.  If however the flame does show some reduction from high, the thermostat bypass is not calibrated.  The other thing that will cause over temp. is a blocked flue.  Take a flashlight and examine to discharge area both inside the oven top back and from the top of the oven rear.  If you have a high back or shelf, you may have to remove it to see all the way down to the back of the oven. I’ve seen oven mitts and grill cleaners in there.  You will also notice a excessive amount of heat come out the door when you open it.

Here is the Vulcan comment on this;

Too much top heat. 1. Too high temperature. 2. Faulty ventilation. 3. Excessive heat input. 4. Thermostat calibration. This is the manual for the oven, It explains how to adjust the bypass on page 7. https://my.vulcanfeg.com/resourcecenter/vulcanwolfberkel/ProductDocumentation/F30753s.pdf If you need to replace the thermostat, be very careful to not kink or scrape the tubing and properly fasten the bulb with the stand offs at the top rear of the oven.  Most times you will need to buy them as well as the thermostat and screws as they corrode away with time, temp, cleaning, and steam.
  • fixbear

May 18, 2018 at 9:36 am

Guess we were both composing at the same time.  Getting harder than ever to find old manuals since ITW revamped the sites.

• ectofix

May 18, 2018 at 9:48 am

fixbear wrote:

Getting harder than ever to find old manuals since ITW revamped the sites.

You got that right.  Very cumbersome having to open up each little manual link to see if a specific model is covered.  But…at least they have a fairly adequate library.  Not EVERYTHING, but almost everything.

We have an older Vulcan combi-oven on one of our properties.  Vulcan’s library didn’t have ANY manuals for it.  I eventually found one someplace else on the WWW.