Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Convert a Garland 6-burner to a dual burner with a charbroiler.

• Convert a Garland 6-burner to a dual burner with a charbroiler.

Posted by guest on May 23, 2016 at 12:00 am

I want to convert a 6-burner Garland Master Series to a dual burner with a char broiler. ie. I am trying to change out 4 of the burners for a char broiler. Has anyone ever done this and if so, do you know what parts are required?

gregct replied 7 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ectofix

May 23, 2016 at 6:42 pm

You’d better call Garland at 905-624-0260 or 844-724-CARE (2273).

If you attempt to do that, then you’re altering the equipment from how it left the factory.  For that matter, its model & serial number would be null and void as a future reference for acquiring parts for it.  Garland and other equipment manufacturers like to use that info for identifying parts and other stuff.

Bear in mind that a technician wouldn’t even entertain the idea of doing what you’re suggesting, since altering the equipment from how it left the factory would place the liability of future failures squarely upon their shoulders…including if those alterations resulted in burning a business/building down or if loss of life and limp were attributed to that very modification.

With your being the owner (I gather) of this unit that you wish to modify, I hope you understand.  If you’re the proprietor of the place, then I recommend that you simply go shopping for a different range unit.

Besides, the total price for the parts necessary to do such a conversion (as you described it) can easily surpass the cost for a complete range unit…fresh from the factory…with a new warranty included.

So, with all that said…again, your best option is to call Garland to see if it can be done without such dismal repercussions..

• gregct

June 2, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Not only that, but doing so would also technically be a Fire Code violation. The governing commercial kitchen equipment fire code generally accepted is NFPA 96, which says that all equipment must be operated and maintained in accordance with its UL Listing. As this particular piece of equipment is UL Listed as a Range, converting it to a broiler would nullify that UL Listing, effectively making you liable for thousands of dollars in Fire Code Violation fines, depending on the jurisdiction you are in, and how savvy the inspectors are. Or your own insurance underwriter inspectors, imagine the jump in premiums if they find out you’re operating with non-UL approved equipment….. Best practice, sell that range off or trade it in on the Factory built, UL Listed Combination Top Range with the options you want