Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives what color should my flame be on my broilerand how do you adjust it

• what color should my flame be on my broilerand how do you adjust it

Posted by guest on January 26, 2017 at 12:00 am

How do you adjust the flame and what color should it be?

techjoeb replied 7 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • john

January 26, 2017 at 8:50 am

To find your rating plate (also called a data plate, or rating label) on your American Range broiler, look in these locations

Check your American Range unit on the front panel for the data plate.

The data plate could also be in the storage cabinet on the left hand side panel.

On larger American Range units, the rating plate is typically behind the lower kick panel.

This rating plate will typically tell us information like the model number, serial number, gas type, gas pressure in W.C., and electrical information. It is very useful for both you and us to know, and is essential if you are calling American Range for technical support. 

• john

January 26, 2017 at 9:08 am

Hello,

The color of your flame will depend on the type of gas you have. A natural gas flame is blue throughout with a slight yellow color at the tip of the primary cone (not the top of the flame), while the flame of LP gas is mostly blue with a small amount of yellow at the top of the flame. See picture below.

As far as adjustment, there are a few issues to tackle. First, if your unit was working properly and now suddenly is not, and the flame is a small blue flame, the problem could be that you have a clogged burner orifice or a clogged venturi, or a restricted gas line. Technicians use a tool called a manometer to find out gas pressure. I do not recommend attempting this yourself. 

If the flame is yellow or causing soot, that could be an issue with too little air, whether the air shutter is blocked or the burner orifice has been made too large. Did someone clean the burner orifice recently? If they did, they may have damaged it. 

On the other hand, if there is an erratic flame, it could be a problem with the gas regulator or control valve. 

If you are not a trained technician, I highly recommend contacting one to adjust your gas or troubleshoot beyond basic visual inspection.

Consider becoming a member of the forum so that you can reply. It would be helpful to have the model and serial number of your unit so that we can better assist you. Plus, once we know exactly what your flame looks like, we may be able to get a better idea about what your problem is and solution will be.

Register here!

• buddy-moore

January 30, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Does it have infrared burners? If so it would be a orangish “glow” after it heats up. Couple of things if you have to much gas pressure it could mess things up. They have insulation which if damaged cause popping and bad flame as well. Make sure the data plate is consistent with the pressure, regulator could have some issue, dirty orifice causes issues over time. If you could provide a little more info we’d be glad to chime in. 

• techjoeb

January 31, 2017 at 10:08 am

IR burners are a different animal. Good mention on this buddy.moore! 

-Joe