Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives effects of enviroment temp to an manitowoc ice installed outside. in winter (in florida) the condenser fan will cycle too often whil        e in freeze cycle but not in summer???

• effects of enviroment temp to an manitowoc ice installed outside. in winter (in florida) the condenser fan will cycle too often whil        e in freeze cycle but not in summer???

Posted by guest on March 1, 2016 at 12:00 am

effects of enviroment temp to a manitowoc ice machine installed outside. in winter (in orlando, florida) the condenser fan will cycle too often while in freeze cycle, but not in summer???

ryanreid1 replied 8 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • abialas

March 1, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Hey Jorge,

Please contact Manitowoc Tech Dept. 844-724-2273

They can get your unit info, figure out the temp ranges this is running in and trouble shoot this issue for you.

Any more questions please let us know.

• alnelson

March 1, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Yes, the fan is controlled by a pressure switch and the fan will cycle on and off to maintain a set head pressure range.

During the summertime when its hot outside the fan will run nonstop during the freeze cycle. During winter in mild ambient temperatures, the fan will cycle quite frequently.

For what its worth, don’t put the machine outside, keep it inside where its warm.

The pressure switches that Manitowoc uses to control the fan are of a very low quality. If the machine is installed somewhere that’s colder than 70 degrees, the fan will cycle all the time, and the pressure switch will fail once or twice a year.

• paloviejo

March 2, 2016 at 6:43 pm

First of all, thanks for you answer. And no wonder the machine shuts itself off after a few harvest cycles… She is protecting herself. This is a QY0214A.

Sometimes she will start normally but soon (couple of minutes) after the water starts running it will stop itself. A different issue I have to follow up on it.

Thanks again, jorge

• ectofix

March 2, 2016 at 6:59 pm

They’re just a pleasure to replace too.

The specially-priced locking-plier-looking-thingie to crimp the refrigerant line was just exactly what I wanted to go blow my hard-earned money on that day in order to replace an OEM pressure switch under warranty. 

Funny how many of our most expensive tools end up being the ones used the least.  When that special time comes though, ya gotta have them.

• alnelson

March 3, 2016 at 5:47 pm

I’ve had so many of those pressure switches fail, when one fails and its not warranty, I replace it with a Ranco or Johnson controls adjustable pressure switch.

In warranty I do use the pinch off tool.

We have machines out there that have had pressure switches changed two, three, some even four times during the first three years.

Besides the fan cycling swi that go bad, Manitowoc has also had an epidemic of low pressure switches on new machines failing recently.

• ryanreid1

March 4, 2016 at 9:48 pm

I used to service a self contained Q model that lived outside under a stairwell at a cheap motel. Talk about job security.