Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Grill is breaking apart

• olivero

April 21, 2018 at 4:04 pm

I have a strong and potentially not very smart idea that anything can be welded.

except for Zamak alloys, that stuff is just plain awful.

• fixbear

April 21, 2018 at 8:17 pm

And 480 maganese. No matter what you do it  cracks.

Tend to agree with Vulcan on the replacement.  Doesn’t mean you have to do all at once.

• olivero

April 22, 2018 at 8:44 am

Yeah, I haven’t done too much of the exotic oddball alloys but one day I might.

Yeah, seems more logical to replace but we’ll see what ends up happening.

• fixbear

April 22, 2018 at 10:13 am

Seems simple.  You price out the parts, shipping and labor.  The price a new one.  If repair comes in more than 60% one has to think about it.  But if it comes in higher, hands down a new one is more cost effective.

• olivero

April 22, 2018 at 10:35 am

Well, a new VACB36 os about $3620.00 online so 60% of that is $2172.00

It costs about $2000.00 for the parts (replacing all 6 grates, 6 radiants and 8 superchargers) and throw shipping into that. So I’d say it’s about there and that doesn’t fix the crack in the back center either. That would still have to be resolved.

• fixbear

April 22, 2018 at 10:59 am

Do you work at a educational facility or state entity.  If so they get a price break on equipment.

• olivero

April 22, 2018 at 11:48 am

No, but we do have vendors that can discount some of it.

April 27, 2018 at 5:35 am

I have similar issues but not to that extent. There might be several reasons for this. In my case they were putting pots of water/soup on the grill, to keep them hot. They would spill or boil over and the thermal shock would cause the metal to spall. Degreasers will remove any curing that has been done to the grates. Starting their cleaning while the grates were still hot…..like ten minuets after closing. The last would be using a lower grade of iron than they should during production.

As for the rear heat shield, it is replaceable.

• fixbear

April 27, 2018 at 5:46 am

That would explain the twisted superchargers.

April 28, 2018 at 5:44 am

Yeah, usually they become banana shaped and I have to cut them in half to get them out. This was the first twisted one that I’ve seen.

Page 2 of 3