Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums i kant get thrmocuple to ignite on imperial ifs40. it heets up but wont catch. bad thrmocuple?

• ectofix

March 29, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Your description of the problem is confusing.  I won’t attempt to read into it to figure out what you really meant.  I’ll just answer it as I read it.  So…

A thermocouple doesn’t light the pilot.  On that fryer, you use a match or a lighter to light the pilot. 

Is it possible that you have a bad thermocouple that’s keeping the pilot from STAYING lit?  Sure.  But then again, it could be any number of other things too.

Here’s your manual on that fryer.  There’s a troubleshooting section in it:

http://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/IMP-IFS_iom.pdf

If that doesn’t solve your problem, then I suggest you call a service company to look at it.

• fixbear

March 29, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Ok, first off this unit does not have a thermocouple.   It has a thermopile that produces 750 millivolts of power for the gas pilot valve to stay on and to pull in the main valve coil to heat the unit.  To light one must turn the gas valve to the “pilot” position, push down and manually light the pilot, and hold down for 30 seconds.  After that it should hold a flame.  If not one must troublshoot the pilot system for the thermopile making power and all the connections are clean.   Also on a fryer one must make sure that the high limit is not tripped.  Other than the thermopile generator, The high limit and a wiring problem are  only thing that will kill the pilot.

March 29, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Check milivolt output of your thermocouple must be above28mv if you have more than this it is magnet ccontrol if lower than 28mv it is thermocouple. Good luck

• ectofix

March 30, 2017 at 5:26 am

Yes!  Thank you, fixbear.   Thermopile.   How did I miss the incorrect reference to a thermocouple.?

Guess my head was blown away by all the mis-spellings in the original question. 

• fixbear

March 30, 2017 at 8:51 am

Naaa, cocktail hour.  Hee Hee