Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives ICEU150HA4 Timer Iniate Replacement

• ICEU150HA4 Timer Iniate Replacement

Posted by guest on September 30, 2016 at 12:00 am

To replace a low pressure control (timer iniate on a ICEU150), does it require going into the sealed system?  Specifically, do I need to get into the sealed system to replace this component?

Thanks,

fixbear replied 7 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ectofix

September 30, 2016 at 8:06 am

If you’re talking about this part, then YES:  Image Viewer

So you’ll need your recovery unit, vacuum pump, gauges, torch, various sundry items, etc.

Maybe a pinch-off tool might streamline the process.  I’d have to be there to see it.  In a unit that small, ANY refrigerant loss may have dire consequences on its performance.

• fixbear

September 30, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Isn’t that just a thermostat bonded to the tail coil?. Usually in a sleeve soldered to the coil that it slides into?

Before condemning this switch, one should measure the tail coil temp to insure that the machine is fully charged and the condenser is clean. .

• ectofix

September 30, 2016 at 3:29 pm

fixbear wrote:

Isn’t that just a thermostat bonded to the tail coil?. Usually in a sleeve soldered to the coil that it slides into?

Not from what I can see, fixbear.

To find out exactly what Ed was asking about, I’d briefly danced around looking at various internet resources – just to be sure:

The service manual (http://www.iceomatic.com/uploadedFiles/Shared_Content/Product_Content/Downloads/Service_Manuals/ICE%20Series%20Service%2…) depicts it as a pressure switch in the wiring diagrams.  The manual also calls the “timer initiate” a “low pressure control” (like the OP [Ed] called it) and then goes on to explain testing/adjusting procedures using a voltmeter along with a low pressure gauge.  A tables towards the back of the manual provides what pressure the timer initiate should be set at for specific models & refrigerant types. The photo I posted from PartsTown was for my own info as well as to post here.  Using the photo link’s partSPIN feature (unique to PartTOWN), you can rotate and zoom in to read the sticker on the part.  It says it’s rated to 35 psi.  From the picture, I also wanted to see if it’s maybe a screw-on type pressure switch that would possibly be designed to mate with a flared fitting w/Schrader valve (It’s NOT.  That’d be too easy).

The picture definitely shows it’s open-ended, with clear cap over the opening to keep it clean.  So, at best, it might just require a pinch-off tool, torch and a stick of sil-fos…if done perfectly.

However, the charge weight in that little machine varies from 9 to 13 ounces – depending on the version of ice maker.  A model ICEU150A4 states 12 oz of 404A.  Ed said ICEU150HA4, which I couldn’t find.  Anyway, that ain’t much refrigerant at all, so if some leaks out, then might as well pull the charge and weigh back in the exact amount.

• fixbear

September 30, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Right, I think back to about 3 years ago I remember working on a couple of these and I installed a new one 2 years ago. I specifically remember that Mile High silver brazed a control line right into the suction without the use of any fittings.  If in fact the switch is bad, one would best have a expanding flare set and just cut the line as far out as possible before it reduces to the cap . Expand the new one and braze over the old. .It of course requires recovery and a tap install, new drier, and vacuuming.

Had to go through my field notes and pictures to remember. Mile High makes this machine for others as well. I installed a Manitowoc replacement and it was identical part for part.