Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives 2012 KEL-40 – Multiple Issues

• 2012 KEL-40 – Multiple Issues

Posted by guest on January 23, 2019 at 12:00 am

Hello all, I’m having a couple of different issues with my KEL-40.

1. Will not turn off. The switch is turned all the way to the left past the “off detent”. Kettle acts like it’s on the lowest setting.

2. Elements fail to switch on. The element on green led is lit but the elements never light up. The operation manual troubleshooting section leads me to believe this is due to a faulty Safety Thermostat.

The kettle is new to me. I was originally only having the “no turn off” problem and the elements failure showed up shortly after. 

I ran through the tests on the control box and it seems to have passed.

The seller is very flaky and not honouring the 30-day warranty, I’m afraid I’ll have to fix myself.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

rico replied 5 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ectofix

January 23, 2019 at 5:18 pm

This isn’t a tilt unit, is it?

Per your problems:

1. Will not turn off. The switch is turned all the way to the left past the “off detent”. Kettle acts like it’s on the lowest setting.

The on/off switch piggybacks the temp control potentiometer.  That assembly is a common problem with Cleveland kettles.  Here’s that part:

Cleveland SE00115 KIT NEW POT/SWITCH(KEL)

I first suggest troubleshooting the problem with a VOM/DMM before replacing it.

Electrical connections for a new potentiometer/switch assembly must be soldered. The knob’s set screw commonly becomes corroded to a point where the potentiometer stem must be whacked with a hammer to break it away so the old potentiometer can be removed. 

The new potentiometer must be soldered in.  

2. Elements fail to switch on. The element on green led is lit but the elements never light up. The operation manual troubleshooting section leads me to believe this is due to a faulty Safety Thermostat.

That problem needs to be troubleshot.  Sure…it could be the safety thermostat – but could also be the 12v relay, a contactor, a loose wire or the solid state temp control.

Here’s the schematic:

RY2 is the 12v relay

ST1 & ST2 are the contactors

Here’s the manual:

Cleveland Operators Manual Installation, Operation & Service Electric Floor Model Kettles KEL40 

• fixbear

January 24, 2019 at 6:38 am

Be aware that if it is off, both contractors will be off/open. However if you have a welded contact or a miss wiring of the primary it may still heat with just one element.  I have come across jumped contact terminals in the past that were done to just get through a shift but left.  On a used piece of equipment one has to be very thorough checking the wiring and control..

• rico

January 26, 2019 at 5:42 am

You may have more than one problem. Do what ecto and fix bear suggests. For me, the thermistor on some of mine goes about once a year. The second is the on/off temp. People are always hitting them and once that happens, all bets are off. In the “duh”! class of things I once had a loose control knob. It had enough drag to turn the switch on and off, but would not move the potentometer. Go figgure.