Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives I have a model BM23. It ices up really quick. What is the problem?

• I have a model BM23. It ices up really quick. What is the problem?

Posted by guest on September 17, 2017 at 12:00 am

I have a model BM23. It ices up really quick. What is the problem?

fixbear replied 6 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • fixbear

September 17, 2017 at 1:00 pm

What you are describing is a excessive long compressor run time due to either to much load,  insufficient capacity,  or bad control.

This information will apply to all refrigeration cabinets pertaining to ice up..

Leaking gaskets,  long door opening, door ajar from something inside,  warm open product load,  too cold of a temp setting,  and a wrong or faulty thermostat.. Thermostat sensing element not mounted to the evaporator,.  Oh yea, forgot low air flow through the evaporator from a plugged coil or bad/ wrong fan motor/blade.  Excessive ambient humidity.  Broken or missing evaporator drain trap,  Plugged drain line,   Dirty condenser coil..

“C” frame motors like used on a keg cooler have a push on fan blade. They sometimes do get knocked off or the spring that keeps the blade tight gets corroded or broken and allows for slippage,  Also C frame motors wear out bearings and the shaft gets loose and off center causing the motor to slow down. and not moving the air needed to remove heat from the case.  This in turn makes the unit run continuously and never have the necessary shut down time for defrost.  To low of a temperature setting or a stuck thermostat will do the same.

After inspecting the above and making corrections,  with the box cold.  Turn the thermostat all the way down while listening to the compressor to stop. note that point and turn it up to mid way. no farther.  Should be a 4.  If it did not stop till the off position, replace it.

• fixbear

September 17, 2017 at 1:25 pm

I forgot one very important other problem.  Cabinet clearance.  The condenser on these is stuffed into a very small space and the airflow is difficult to maintain.  Being a Bar Mobile unit, They tend to get pushed to the wall or in a corner. don’t remember what the manual required, but seem to think it was 12 inches each side and 6 inches rear.  More is always better.

The BM23’s have the condenser stuffed into a small space than the BB’s and a smaller condenser fan. You give up a lot for those wheels. One is ease or coil cleaning and fan replacement.. The other is size of keg diameter. They will not fully close with some kegs