Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives I HAVE A PITCO SSH75 SHUTTING DOWN AFTER 5 MIN. OIL DOES NOT REACH TEMP, PILOT GOES OUT, WILL NOT RESTART FOR ABOUT 15 MIN. HI-LIMIT AND ROLL-OUT SEAM TO REMAIN CLOSED.

• I HAVE A PITCO SSH75 SHUTTING DOWN AFTER 5 MIN. OIL DOES NOT REACH TEMP, PILOT GOES OUT, WILL NOT RESTART FOR ABOUT 15 MIN. HI-LIMIT AND ROLL-OUT SEAM TO REMAIN CLOSED.

Posted by guest on December 14, 2018 at 12:00 am

PITCO SSH75 SHUTTING DOWN AFTER 5 MIN, OIL NOT REACHING TEMP. PILOT GOES OUT AND WILL NOT RESTART FOR ABOUT 15 MIN. HI-LIMIT AND ROLL-OUT SEEM TO REMAIN CLOSED.

ares replied 5 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • badbozo2315

December 14, 2018 at 7:01 pm

So, it’s nothing in the thermostat/computer control system. I’d say, in this order: the high limit still might be bad. Jump it TEMPORARILY to test or tap on it at 4 minutes, pilot assy spark rod/sensor corroded or too far from hood, next the ignition cable on those can be flaky, lastly the ignition module might have gotten soaked (due to it being exposed- what a dumb-azzed place for a spark module), or is just flaky.

• ectofix

December 14, 2018 at 9:04 pm

That’s a Solstice fryer.  Per Pitco, that design was meant to make it far more serviceable for a technician when they invented it in the early 2000s.  THEN…they made it complicated.

I thought about this one while watching a two-hour movie on Netflix. Thanks for messing up my movie (which wasn’t that great).   

I’m no Pitco guru.  I last worked on a Solstice fryer over seven years ago, but here’s my take from some quick research:

The hi-limit requires manual resetting.  You didn’t state that you had to, so ignore that for now. The roll-out switch is only a safety in case of some failure of the burner cleaning system that only operates the first few seconds after turning it on.   If it trips, it must be reset too.  You didn’t state that you had to, so ignore that for now. According to what I’ve read about the fryer, the pilot remains lit whenever the temp controller is ON.  However, you said it goes out.

SO…I’d go with what Badbozo suggested about issues with the ignition circuit.  Otherwise, something is dropping out under a load (in a consistent fashion) when supplying the ignition module.  Maybe the relay board.  Maybe a bad connection or wiring.

You’ll need to use your eyes, ears, a VOM and some knowledge of overall system operation to troubleshoot that one.  Having an identical fryer there to compare it to as to what’s going on would be very helpful.

Here’s a few manuals for you to help you in your troubleshooting:

Installation & Operation Manual – Solstice & Solstice Supreme With Matchless Ignition Built after 08/2000  Service Manual – Solstice and Solstice Supreme High Efficiency Gas Fryers SG/SSH Series 
  • fixbear

December 15, 2018 at 5:20 am

Like Ectofix and badbozo said, if you have not had to reset any limits,  I would want to monitor the flame safety current with a DC Microampmeter.

• ares

December 16, 2018 at 10:36 am

Also watch the amber light when unit fails, 3 light flash typically signals to a faulty temperature probe. If I had a nickel for every quirky issue with these units, and I have caught myself on more than one occasion assuming the issue due to my responsibility for literally hundreds of these units. The wet ignition module  typically rears it’s **** head by unit igniting pilot and getting stuck there, not proofing to burners, and happens most often on unit not protected from floor moppers, banked units with filter system this is typically the unit without the filter tank and shield protecting module from water when cleaning floors. Pitco designed an enclosure for the module due to so many water related issues, which I find most “techs” remove and throw away, usually the large corporate service companies. A bad high limit would be fairly simple to troubleshoot and if you are not finding it tripped after the initial 5 minute heat up then its probably fine. The roll-off limit, if tripped would be fairly simple to figure out also. I have run into a significant amount of faulty solid state controllers, typically run in batches. If this is a banked set of fryers you could also try the time tested method of temporarily swapping the solid state controller from working unit.