Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums CL 55 Motor

• CL 55 Motor

Posted by guest on September 1, 2018 at 12:00 am

Hey guys,

I got a CL 55 Series D that is jamming up currently, it will jam rather easily according to the chefs compared to what it used to be able to handle.

Only thing I could imagine was either a bad motor or bad bearings causing the motor run with more resistance as well as the dicing happening it might just be enough to overload it, but it doesen’t seem that way. it happens with other discs and attachments.

I’m thinking a new motor is needed.https://www.partstown.com/robot_coupe/rob303081;sid=rJeeHDPkBveYHGhuXkWoEpskrAT6C_bQ9g4=

fixbear replied 5 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • badbozo2315

September 1, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Naa, if it were motor bearings, you get complaints from the crew that you can’t hear in the kitchen because it’s too loud. The motor itself is just about bulletproof. Grab the shaft and try to see if there’s any movement, I’ll bet there isn’t- bearings ok.

What exactly do you mean by “jamming up”? Tripping the internal overload? Are the blades good and sharp? When were they replaced last?

Is this single or 3 phase? Sorry, but I have to ask the obvious: if 3 phase, is it turning in the proper direction?

What is the incoming voltage and amperage under the “jamming” condition? Are they overloading it? I had a chef tell me to my face they’ve been putting x amount of avacado stuff in forever, and afterwords, 2 folks came foreword and said they didn’t have a problem until they doubled the recipie recently…

• olivero

September 1, 2018 at 6:57 pm

Right, figured the bearings would be a dead give away, I’ve changed them before so I know when they’re bad, lol.

Jamming up seems like a wrong term at this point, I opened it up and found part of the drive belt was shredded so the teeth weren’t grabbing. Most likely when the going got rough and it hit that part, it was just spinning in that spot so I changed the belt and now we’ll see.

It’s single phase, lol, I’m an in house tech, so I’ve dealt with it before, I only have R45 VCM which is a 3 phase motor.

Lol, gotta love how things change like that, sometimes its the little details that make or break troubleshooting.

• ectofix

September 1, 2018 at 7:35 pm

Belt-driven and 115v? 

What a beast of a machine at that voltage.  I’ve never seen a belt-driven Robot Coupe.  Heck, the Hobarts (made by Hallde) I work on near that size require 3 phase.  One is even 480v (Hallde again…made in Sweden).  Gear-driven instead of a belt system.

I thought about your problem earlier, but I was short on suggestions.  Maybe failing motor start components or the control board’s relay…and such?  Dull cutter blades?  Maybe even a long run from the service panel dropping voltage before the outlet…which would affect the motor’s efficiency.  Anything other than that DARNED expensive motor.

Sound like you got it, though.

Glad to see Badbozo staying with it…despite retirement. 

• fixbear

September 1, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Belt is likely.  But while you in there make sure to check the terminals on the motor plug, start relay, and Jj10, J11, J12 of the control board for any signs of resistance or heat.

• badbozo2315

September 2, 2018 at 10:17 am

Somethings is not adding up here…

3HP motor at 120 vac, and Robotcoupe specs a NEMA#: 5-15P cord? Googling says that a 3HP motor draws like 30+ amps single phase?

• fixbear

September 2, 2018 at 11:23 am

Where did 3 hp come from.  It’s raed  ..75 kw and 8.5 amps.  It does have a speed reduction of 3.75,   1750 RPM. 3/4 ths of a kilowatt doesn’t even come close to 3 HP.  Just a simple 1 HP  Basically 466 RPM and a lot more torque.

• olivero

September 2, 2018 at 11:40 am

It’s a single phase motor, I don’t know what HP, I doubt its 3 though, its fairly small.

It draws 8.7A, rated for 9.5 A.

I wonder why the belt died though.

Nothing else seemed to be amiss.

It has a start capacitor but no run capacitor, it starts just fine, no problem (checked the cap regardless, its fine) it was when it was running and they put a load on it, then it would sound like it was jammed, probably just the drive pulley spinning against the belt making it sound like it was jammed when really the shaft just wasn’t moving.

• fixbear

September 2, 2018 at 12:15 pm

Belts come in all different levels of quality. OEM should be a high quality belt,  but some of the aftermarket just don’t have the same specs or longevity.  That machine is a very high load for such a small belt over so small of a pulley/sprocket.  That means a lot of flexing.  Worn sprockets will also cause high load over part of the sprocket instead of over the whole contact area.  Look for wear and rounding on the small sprocket.  As the top of the teeth start to wear and the top corner rounds, the load will exert more tension on the belt because it will want to rise from the load. This over stretches the belt and starts cracking in the root near the cogs.  Once the crack reaches the cords the cogs peel off.

As for the horsepower rating,  Sales people like to stretch the facts. 1HP motor times 3.75 reduction.  Ah, we’ll call it a 3 HP.  In reality there are several ways to calculate- rate HP.  It should always be stated what HP rating. Like SAE or ASME.  That’s why KW is now a more accurate rating and universal across the globe.. It also compensates for voltage fluctuation.

• badbozo2315

September 2, 2018 at 4:38 pm

From the robocoupe.net site, copypasted:

CL55 Pusher Series D with stand

Power: 3 HP-Single phase. 120V, 60hz

Shrug.