Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Is Himark skil worker school better or CFESA in order to be a food equipment Tec

• Is Himark skil worker school better or CFESA in order to be a food equipment Tec

Posted by guest on April 21, 2017 at 12:00 am

Hello every one,

The Question by cardmagic88 was  my question that has not been  given a right answer before.

I have a restaurant that runs business relaying on  freezer,cooler,toaster oven,backing oven,pressing oven,macrowave, ice machine,beverage cooler and more. over the years that I did not know how to have my screw driver handy  I had to spend so much money for repair the equipment. when I started to repair some stuff on my own, I could cut the some of the cost, of course thanks to internet and those who put those video on youtube. but still I could not do all the repairs because I did not have a any kind of back ground or skill related to be a technician but I know that I have a courage  to be a technician.

recently I found out about the skill worker school called Himark they have four branches. I am going to take the Gas technician 3 and then 2 and maybe 1 if needed but they said that with 3 and 2 I can start to work. what they said is I am going to learn and being certified as a Gas technician meanwhile I learn about electrical system that would give a knowledge

to repair those equipment also. since mroadman had the same idea about how to start from Gas,electrical and steam I think that I am in the right path, I was  just wondering if the idea of starting with  cfesa would be a better place to start with. 

Thanks to every one who shared their idea it was very helpful for me

ectofix replied 7 years ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • ectofix

April 26, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Himark is in Canada?  Looking at their curriculum, It appears to be a worthwhile investment to get you started in the trade…if that’s what your goal is.  It probably specifically focuses on the training needs for someone wanting to enter the HVAC/R trade in Canada.

Regarding CFESA training –

When I started out doing this work in the ’90s, CFESA didn’t have training facility to attend a resident training program.  I was already a technician and my employer required that I become CFESA-certified.  So I studied the CFESA books and took their tests (locally proctored) to become certified.  CFESA training manuals offer a treasure-trove of technical information written specifically for training commercial food equipment technicians.

I’ll share with you what a member of another forum recently said about their RESIDENT training:

“Cfesa training is around $1200 for non-Cfesa members plus hotel and travel. It’s designed for techs who have been in the field a year or more. There is a prerequisite test to pass before attending. The instructors are industry veterans who know their stuff. It’s 6 days of training. 2 days electric, 2 days gas, and 2 days steam with water quality thrown in. Lots of hands on training as well. Excellent training. Call Cfesa headquarters and they can tell you more. They are offering more classes that they have in the past. Can’t praise their instructors enough. They are the experts.”

– credit to CFEST @ HVAC-talk.com