Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Motor shaft riding up

• Motor shaft riding up

Posted by guest on March 7, 2017 at 12:00 am

Here’s the next one,

CL 55 Robot Coupe slicer machine, chef gets it all set up with the regular cutting blade. Makes a grinding noise, lift the top of it slightly and it stops, stab a toothpick between the hinged top to the base and it stops……………………

I thought the chef was just a nut and didn’t put it together right or, either the side of the unit wore down or the shaft moved up.

Its got a bearing assembly in the bottom that consists of a large circular dome looking thing with a thrust bearing and needle bearing and that dome acts as the idle pulley that the motor drags around. There is also a motor shaft bearing in the top of the base which helps keep it together.

Now, I didn’t believe the shaft moved up until today when he put in a grating blade and it shaved off the top of the grating blade….. Got called “Hey, ah… The CL 55 is spitting out metal shavings”

Went over there, pondered about it and got out me trusty ol hammer and whacked the shaft a couple of times straight on the top and no joke, it moved down 1″ or so.

Problem went away.

Never, ever would I have thought that was possible, especially with so many darn bearings to help hold it in place, but now I am wondering if I need to replace the bearings or the shaft.

Any of you ever seen anything like that?

olivero replied 7 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • fixbear

March 8, 2017 at 7:10 am

Either the nut that holds the pulley on,  or the combinate bearing assembly is not being retained.  Pulley nut is my bet.

• izzygreen

March 8, 2017 at 7:52 am

Robot Coupe changed the thickness and length of their blades on the slicing discs, I’ve had many a customer ask for new blades only to find that they wouldn’t fit….nothing about robot coupe surprises me anymore

• olivero

March 8, 2017 at 8:35 am

I guess it could be the pulley nut, never thought of that.

See, that’s why I keep you guys around

Really, just randomly change their blades, that’s odd. I buy a lot of new blades as the chefs tend to wear these down quicker than I can buy them all but at least they all fit, so I guess there is something to be thankful about

• olivero

March 8, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Turns out the bearings had to be changed, talked to Robot coupe and that’s what they recommended, then someone mentioned the C-clip on the shaft and turns out it wasn’t attached when I pulled it, so that’s probably what it was…