Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Deep fryer’s got issues

• davejohnsonnola

May 23, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Can never underestimate operator error, lack of training or just plain stupidity or stubbornness of staff.

• badbozo2315

May 24, 2019 at 2:17 pm

In reality, there should be a stop pin under the knob or a long screw on the flex shaft that will prevent the tstat from going over normal setpoint. But yeah, the operators just turning it up all the way is just bonehead level stuff.

I always like to tell the story of the chef who couldn’t understand why, when he put in 3 inches of water into his large electric tilt skillet, the water wouldn’t get over like 210 degrees, even when the tstat was set to 350. It would just boil. He was serious. I stared at him and blinked. What can you say? A trained profesional…

The things I’ve seen… 

• fixbear

May 24, 2019 at 3:32 pm

He needed to do a tour in Denver for a bit. 

• ectofix

May 24, 2019 at 6:27 pm

LOL!!!

Where I work, we address plumbing issues in kitchens. 

Our 3rd shift guys said they once had the three-compartment sink in a dishroom disconnected and pulled out from the wall several feet to replace water supply lines to it (vertical-mount faucets).  It was…sorta like – out in the middle of the floor.  Picture that.

While they were BEHIND it working on it, a night cleaner came along and dumped a pot of funky crap into the sink…which quickly passed through the disconnected drain, splashed onto the floor and onto his feet.

Not even ten minutes later, someone ELSE came along, stopped and turned on the water faucet to fill something. 

NOTHING. 

They said the look of confusion on this guy’s face as he continued to fiddle with the faucet handles to gain better results…as they stood there BEHIND the sink looking at him – was classic.

• fixbear

May 24, 2019 at 7:41 pm

gotta love those offsets on the back.

• olivero

May 26, 2019 at 9:37 am

Right, it does and it’s all there. I just think the thermostat needed to be calibrated.

They fried a bunch of stuff last Wednesday, no problems. 

woop. Let’s hope it stays that way.

• mewservices

May 30, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Not sure if anyone suggested this but try moving the computer from the left fryer that’s working to the center and the center computer to the left and see if the left one starts going out. If it does then you know it’s something  to do with the computer. 

• ectofix

May 31, 2019 at 6:28 am

No computer.  His fryer uses a Fenwal thermostat.  Looks like he’s solved the problem.

• fixbear

May 31, 2019 at 6:42 am

Because it has a independent millivolt pilot system,  we narrowed down that it was going over temp and tripping the high limit. The electronic part is for monitoring the safety of a drain valve, melt, temp indication, and filtration.  All working.  So the only problem had to come down to the temp control.  Thermostat is where it’s at.  Now why.  A combination of operator miss-training and calibration.  A temp control on a fryer should never be capable of more than 375F.  The high limit is there for when the control fails to stop as a protection.  Good fry fat like peanut, avocado, safflower and sunflower have a flash point of near 450F.  however cheaper fats can be down below 400F.  A trained chef knows that discoloring or smoke is dangerous and set to high.  Problem is the most kitchens use line cook’s on the fryers with no or minimal training on this.  That’s why fryers are so dangerous.  Way back we saw a lot of lard and tallow used in fryers. Smelled good, but not for today’s heath conscious society..

I can’t stress enough how important it is to talk with the operator of a machine and listen to what he has to say of when it happens with a intermittent problem. We have great test equipment today available to us that will record and indicate very minor variations. 

• mewservices

May 31, 2019 at 7:38 am

Sorry didn’t see that. 

Page 6 of 7