Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Have a Tri-star TSF6575 E-L propane deep fryer and not always but when it goes to kick on it seems to blow out the pilot and we have a hard time getting it to stay lit. We hve put on new thermopyle and new pilot assembly. But still have same proble, usual

• Have a Tri-star TSF6575 E-L propane deep fryer and not always but when it goes to kick on it seems to blow out the pilot and we have a hard time getting it to stay lit. We hve put on new thermopyle and new pilot assembly. But still have same proble, usual

Posted by guest on November 18, 2016 at 12:00 am

fryer not always but when it goes to kick on it seems to blow out the pilot and we have a hard time getting it to stay lit. We hve put on new thermopyle and new pilot assembly. But still have same problem, usually happens right about lunch time, busy time. Any idea what this could be. Also seems like all the parts I find are for natural gas and not Lp?

jeremy-martin replied 7 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • ectofix

November 18, 2016 at 7:03 pm

You said LP.  That’s possibly the problem.  Your fryer is a basic, run-of-the-mill atmospheric-burner type of fryer.  Here’s something to look for…with some explanation as to why:

LP doesn’t burn as cleanly as natural gas and, unfortunately, causes soot buildup over time.

Understand that for proper combustion, 10x the amount of air is needed for 1x the amount of gas. 

The natural flow for sustaining combustion in MOST gas appliances is through the front (incoming air/gas mixture) to supply the burner flame and out the rear (through the exhaust flue).   If soot builds up, it can block that flow through the burner tube – thereby causing the burners flame to try to vent out the front as well.  That poor venting displaces incoming combustion air and the result is depletion of adequate air to sustain proper flames.  The first thing in a fryer that will suffer for that is the little-ole pilot, because it’s located higher than the primary air inlets for the main burners. 

Getcha a flashlight and shine it up in the burner tubes (past the actual burners).  If you see some formations in there that look like black/gray puffy clouds (kinda pillowy looking), then there it is…the PROBLEM.  The best way to clean that out is to remove the burners and plow through that soot with a shop-vac until it’s all gone.  I suggest that you NOT get it on your hands, as it will take DAYS of hand-washing to get it off.

• ectofix

November 19, 2016 at 7:40 am

If soot buildup doesn’t appear to be a problem, then you should check for a gas supply or pressure issue.  Testing the pressure would reveal a gas supply issue to the fryer.

If you don’t have a manometer to perform that test, visual observation may reveal such a problem the moment the main burners are turned ON.  If the pilot’s flame suddenly and significantly diminishes in intensity and REMAINS that way during main burner operation, then there’s a gas supply or pressure problem causing it.

• olivero

November 19, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Could be too much gas at one time blows out the pilot.

• ectofix

November 20, 2016 at 4:07 am

jonsey6951 wrote:

fryer not always but when it goes to kick on it seems to blow out the pilot and we have a hard time getting it to stay lit. We hve put on new thermopyle and new pilot assembly. But still have same problem, usually happens right about lunch time, busy time. Any idea what this could be. Also seems like all the parts I find are for natural gas and not Lp?

Well HOPEFULLY you didn’t put in a new pilot assembly that’s designed for NATURAL GAS.

Regarding parts for an LP fryer, the installation, operation & maintenance manual handily provides part numbers for LP.  Most places won’t stock these, so you’ll have to order them:

http://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/TRS-TSF_spm.pdf 

• olivero

November 20, 2016 at 8:58 am

Hmm.. I see it now,

Jonsey: Bob! I Can only find NG parts.

Bob: Good, that’ll work, it doesent matter anyways, both are fuel.

And there ya go, might have found the problem but you did not solve it, did anything change after you changed the parts or was the same problem still there?

• buddy-moore

December 4, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Even if you only get NG pilot you can use the old pilot oriface…. I really don’t think that is the issue. Sounds like you might have lack of pressure. Pilot stays lit Then when you turn gas on it goes out. Seen this happen when the qd isn’t fully ingaged. Now if you put a natural gas orifice in there your probably heating your thermopile up. What is your Millivolt reading before turning on gas valve. Leave your gas valve on pilot and turn on/off the thermostat. What is you Millivolt then? Gas pressure to gas valve, pressure out? Lots of little things to test but… worst case you need a new gas valve. If your changing yourself then it’s worth it if your hiring a company and you should to make sure all pressures are right, you’ll be into the unit for about 75% cost for a new one. 

• ectofix

December 5, 2016 at 5:24 pm

buddy.moore wrote:

Even if you only get NG pilot you can use the old pilot oriface (sic)…. I really don’t think that is the issue.

A brand new pilot orifice will certainly just fall right out of there (I think I lost one once?)

However, I never had much luck removing a pilot orifice from a pilot burner that’s been there awhile (in cooking equipment).  I think the aspiration of air with an oil mist results in a glue that forever bonds them together.  I’ve wrecked a few pilot orifices trying to remove them.

That’s been my experience…anyway.

• jeremy-martin

December 14, 2016 at 9:41 am

Another part to check is the high limit. If the high limit is bad, the pilot wont light or it wont stay lit.