Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives looking for a fan blade to replace the old one. Need blade to match up with replacement motor

• looking for a fan blade to replace the old one. Need blade to match up with replacement motor

Posted by guest on September 17, 2016 at 12:00 am

I have a walk in cooler and had to replace motor  #S88-804 and looking for a blade 12″ . Part number on motor is S88-804

@

fixbear replied 7 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • ectofix

September 17, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Fan blade designs vary with the wind…and the motor number provided is of no use for identifying a fan blade.

For walk-in coolers and freezers, the only way I’ve ever accurately identified an replacement fan blade is to take it to a HVAC/R supply house and have them match it to what they stock.  There’s simply too many variations.

That’s been my experience on walk-ins.  On the other hand, reach-ins and ice machines are much simpler.  A replacement can be generally be identified from the parts manual for that model of equipment.

• davejohnsonnola

September 17, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Is there a model and serial number tag on the evaporator housing?

• fixbear

September 18, 2016 at 4:20 pm

First off, are we talking the evaporator or condenser? Both are usually sold as independent units to the cooler assembler. Walk in manufacturers buy assembled units from .Trenton, Heatcraft, Tecumseh, Copeland, Bohn, among others.

Fan motors need to know rotation, voltage, phase, frame and wattage (or HP). It helps to know the difference between Shunt wound, PSC, or ECDM motors. Ventilated, open frame, TEFC, and air over.

Fan blades need to know the number of blades,  Diameter,  mounting shaft diameter, Pitch angle, and rotation Most tech’s carry a blade pitch tool and a fan blade puller.

If you have a fan blade hub that has broke loose from the blade, look for a vibration causing this. Anything from a bad capacitor the a phase imbalance or vibration from unbalance or bent blade.

• ectofix

September 18, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Actually, I couldn’t have said that at all.  Another very informative answer!

• fixbear

September 18, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Thank You, but my feeble mind forgot RPM