Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives What might cause a DFG-100 LP Oven to have a hard relight (like gas not purging) after working flawlessly?

• fixbear

April 7, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Being they sold you the machine converted, I fully understand your problem.  It is also why they no longer exist.  They never had real tech’s and the labor to change the valve takes time.  They would have had to change the burner orifices.  They also should have replaced the pilot assembly and converted the gas valve by spring replacement, cap, and marking or whole valve replacement..And the Ignition module.   You obviously have a manometer, and understand the measurements.  Sounds like a kit is in order.

As for finding a good tech in your area that is cost efficient,  I don’t know your area, but if you belong to your local restaurant and tavern owners society,  you can pick from their experiences.  Most owners are more than happy to help others.  And trade groups are invaluable for networking information. 

I once was called in to check a propane condensing furnace that had been worked on the previous day.  The gas company tech had replaced the gas valve.  Upon arrival when I pulled the front cover off to find large flame roll out.  He had replaced the valve with a NG valve and never tested the manifold pressure after completion of work.  Rather than double charge the customer, I had him call them back at NC to fix it right.  And this was a old propane company.  Everybody has a bad day,  but they still shouldn’t cut corners.

• albumen

April 7, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Fixbear & Ectofix:  I know and for seven years but the delayed ignition start about 6 mos ago.  We use it on/off as we have four other ovens.  I wonder if they only changed the pilot and the burner orifices.  When we took the manifold pressure…I thought ok…maybe they did not mark things but surely…nope.  I do not know how people like that sleep at night but I guess it caught up with them as they are out of business.  I am going to start making some calls to find a qualified tech.

Thank you all.  

• ectofix

April 7, 2017 at 12:25 pm

albumen wrote:

So what should I look for in a tech to know they are legitimate besides their company name?  

Well, Blodgett only lists two companies as their authorized service providers in Missouri.  The closest to you in Hughesville is General Parts Group out of KC, MO.

Otherwise, I suggest calling a CFESA-certified company.  Here’s a list.  General Parts Group is included:

CFESA Certified Service Providers – Missouri

• albumen

April 7, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Sent them an email asking for quote…they said my area is handled by a subagent.  so waiting to hear from them.
    thanks again.

• albumen

April 7, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Yes I do have a manometer and understand its use.  I used to be lucky in my neighbor was HVAC guy, electrician across the way and gas guy just a beer away but they have all moved on and so have I but the knowledge remains!  I will make a few calls to local areas to see who they use.  Flame roll out sounded exciting.  

• fixbear

April 7, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Over the years I have seen some odd problems with gas valves.  Like someone thinking they can just stretch the NG spring to make it work. Or putting a spacer under the cap.  Or turning the adjustment screw down.   But the spring is not the only difference.  The cap has a different height as well.  Wire thickness and number of turns.  They are commonly color coded today. 

• albumen

April 9, 2017 at 10:15 am

Took the silver cap off the valve and looked at the adjustor.  It was buried to the bottom.   So they just cranked it down and hoped for the best.

• fixbear

April 9, 2017 at 10:36 am

Exactly what I thought you would find.  Explains why it ran for a period,  Till the spring changed by being out of design.  Good job,

• albumen

April 9, 2017 at 3:39 pm

The spring had nothing left…a Ball point Pen spring had more power.  So replacing the valve with lp valve and a conversion kit for ignition control and manifold orifices next week.  New pilot already so good there.  Crazy what they did.  Thanks for all your help.  hopefully this gets it back up.

Sent from my Samsung Smart Phone

• fixbear

April 9, 2017 at 4:14 pm

That sounds like the best solution.

Page 2 of 3