• ed

ed

Posted by guest on December 28, 2017 at 12:00 am

We have a 3phase frymaster  PH114SD can it be converted to single phase

ectofix replied 6 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • fixbear

December 28, 2017 at 7:10 am

Ed, PH is frymasters product holding device. Normally single phase and added to a fry station. However, If you have a BIPH14, or FPH, FPPH,  They are 3 phase electric fryers.  And no they can not be converted to single phase.  They require 4 wire 3 phase with nuetral.  Now if you had a SR114, It can be either.  But you would have to supply it with a 100 amp breaker and 2 wire.  The 114 is that the machine is a single tank and 14 KW.  If you are on 240 volt, You would also need to replace the heating elements.

• ectofix

December 28, 2017 at 7:48 am

fixbear is correct in that Frymaster didn’t design your H14 fryer to operate from single phase.  The service manual for it doesn’t show ANY information for connecting it as such.

On the other hand, the service manual for Frymaster’s newer RE (rotating element) electric fryers DOES show that they (RE fryers) could be made as single-phase fryers.  However, THOSE fryers left the factory that way and were specifically designed for it.

As for hiring some one to convert it ANYWAY?  Even as a technician, I wouldn’t even consider converting that fryer from three to single phase.

WHY?

Your fryer was “listed” (with UL, CA & others) as three-phase when it left the factory.  Its data sticker says it’s three phase.  The standing service literature for that fryer doesn’t support it being converted to single-phase. 

Therefore, actually converting it is taking a HUGE liability risk.

If you have any further questions on the matter, you can call Frymaster at 1-800-551-8633.

• ectofix

December 28, 2017 at 9:16 am

I believe the model number prefix “PH” denotes a “Pro Series” electric fryer.  It distinguishes its new design from the older common electric “H” series fryers:

H14/17/22 Series Electric Fryers

Pro Series Electric Fryers

The Pro Series upgrade was evident mostly in its cabinetry – with a re-designed “euro-look” with a rounded front ledge having the name “Frymaster” boldly stamped in it.  The Pro Series also had a continuous front bezel which extended the full length of a fryer battery (vs. individual control panel bezels), hidden control panel hardware, better access through the rear…and some internal changes.  I believe the Pro Series is also when they began using Molex connectors for element connections as opposed to having to hard wire the elements straight to the contactors when replacing them.

Of course, several years later they went to the RE design – which continued with the Euro-look cabinet.  Those would have a “RE” prefix in the model number:

RE Series Electric Fryers

• fixbear

December 28, 2017 at 11:03 am

I believe that would be a FPPH series.  Commonly, manufactorers in the food industry break down there model numbers from front to end. PH only occurs as a prefix in a PHD.  This since all the buy outs and consolidation have happened and all. Before that numbers were all over the place with no rhyme or reason that was obvious.

• ectofix

December 28, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Here are some pictures of a 480v version of the same fryer the OP asked about.  It’s listed for auction at govdeals.com:

The model number is the same as the OPs:

fixbear wrote:

I believe that would be a FPPH series.

The FP in a FPPH prefix denotes a fryer which has a Footprint (or Footprint Pro) oil filtration system built in.

Here’s a chart from an old tech manual I have.  This isn’t an all-inclusive index…and I’m sure a newer chart would have some changes in the coding translation. 

For instance, if there’s just ONE fryer (instead of a battery of fryers), THIS chart says there would be no number in the “Number of fryers” position of the model number.  However, we can see from data plate for the fryer in my picture that they have since decided to put a “1″ in that position to reflect there is ONE fryer.

That chart uses high-efficiency GAS fryers as an example.  50, 52 or 55 series were the variations.

In the case of high-efficiency ELECTRIC fryers, the “Type of fryer” position would show numbers to reflect the kilowatt rating of the vat – 14, 17 or 22KW.

AND…for what it’s worth, here’s a breakdown of the serial number.  Note the two letters denoting the “Family model”:

The two letters in that “Family model” position can be used to identify the part number for a service manual of a particular fryer.  Simply cross-reference those letters in the Frymaster Service Manual Cross Reference, then go HERE to find the manual.

Here’s a copy of the cross-reference that I’ve uploaded:

Frymaster Service Manual Cross-reference, June 2016

FWIW:  We have Frymaster gas fryers at our property which span nearly twenty-five years of production (we have thirty-eight of ’em ).

I played around with the accuracy of that cross-reference.  It’s NOT.

For instance, I have a 1995 set of gas fryers with a family code “IK” in the serial number.  The cross-reference tells me I need service manual part number 819‐6083.  However, THAT manual is for much newer Pro H50/55-Series gas fryers.

What’s the difference?

Well, the nearly everything comprising the cabinet, the casters (or legs), the wiring harness, the filter system, how the gas plumbing is set up…just to name a few things.