Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives USB STICK RATIONAL.

• USB STICK RATIONAL.

Posted by guest on August 24, 2018 at 12:00 am

Hello, I have recently been doing services to RATIONAL SCC WE, SCC and CM-P, (more than a year ago). I am a Venezuelan immigrant in Peru and that is what I do now. I worked for some rational service partners and I realized that they did not perform the services as the manufacturer indicates. I took my own initiative and got the training manuals by my own means. And now I have some clients who trust my process and are happy with the results.
    I try to do everything as the manufacturer recommends but here in this country there is something that usually generates inconveniences. Is that the same service partners are the same sellers of spare parts and accessories. And they do not usually sell these to anyone other than their own nearby circle, you will understand. There are three service partners that monopolize the market here throughout the country. I have tried to get the USB STICK RATIONAL but it is impossible unless I directly import it, it is expensive without counting the customs costs and endless things that happen in the third world.
    I have researched a bit and it is possible to format conventional USB STICK to fat16 (which is the format that I believe the system supports).
    I have all the software updates but I am not sure to use this system to update the equipment.
    I would like to know if someone has managed to do something like that, if possible. I do not want to generate discomfort to any client.

Sorry for the long text I just wanted to give you a context of the situation I am in and why I want to do this “experiment”, (if you can call it that).

Thanks in advance.

guest replied 4 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • ectofix

August 24, 2018 at 9:00 pm

Earlier SCCs (2011 and prior) were FAT16.  For awhile, a software upgrade to the stick could only be down loaded from the old Windows XP computers (I think).  Meanwhile, NEWER Rational upgrades (SCC_WEs and up to today) can be gotten the newer Windows versions.

Since then, Rational published instructions for upgrade the stick for older SCC ovens  using newer computers.  There’s an instruction on that on their service portal. 

I did it, so it works.   I recommend that you explore the service portal for further instructions.

• luisg

August 24, 2018 at 9:19 pm

I used OS W10. I dont have problem to down loaded the newer version of software. You can used troubleshoting compatibility to run the .exe file as WXP SP3 and get you software direltly fron rational in the portal. my query is about use a not OEM stick to make the upgrade. because every time I need to update I need to look for a USB STICK borrowed with a friend who does have one. that generates delays because I can not perform the process immediately.

• ectofix

August 24, 2018 at 9:55 pm

THAT…I cannot offer an answer for.  I felt lucky to do what I did and took at chance merely to upgrade my ovens. 

While I’m fairly knowledgeable on Rational ovens as an in-house tech with 26 of them to look after – as YOU are…I’m somewhat at a disadvantage.  I have not been to their training class. 

Maybe somebody who has will respond (badbozo?).  I hope so.

Sorry…

• ectofix

August 24, 2018 at 10:09 pm

BTW:  I ordered and used the Rational sticks to do MY upgrades.  I’m not a computer geek, but perhaps e a generic one won’t work for some reason.

I ordered mine from Rational.  One is white and one is gray (I think).  Order the stick you need.

• badbozo2315

August 25, 2018 at 12:33 pm

Yeah, we had such a go-round in the shop about updating usb sticks in general. We were explicitly told by an email from the CEO never to insert a usb stick into a company-owned computer. When I asked, like, wtf, how do I update all these 7 manufacturer sticks I have on my truck, I never got a good answer and our manager was not inclined to order factory sticks much. If they were needed to install something, we’d insist the manufacturer send us a bunch.

I bought a very cheap laptop that had Windows 10 on it (I run only Linux at the house here) to do my own and other certified techs updating. In other news, I now have a cheap laptop with Windows 10 on it for sale…

In any event, we had no problems using generic *2GB* thumb drives for any manufacturer’s software. However, go ahead, try to get a 2GB thumbdrive at Walmart or Staples etc. They don’t stock ’em that small anymore. I bought a bunch from Amazon one time.

I’ve had less luck with higher capacity thumbdrives in general.

August 31, 2018 at 5:29 am

I don’t know what tariffs or taxes they have there but Parts Town has the stick. It will fit in a envelope. Once you have the stick, you can plug it into a computer with internet access and it will automatically look for the rational site and update itself. (This is what drives i.t., security people crazy). This is for the older SCC/CM units. I can’t speak to the WE units.

• rationaltechnician

June 25, 2019 at 12:26 pm

You can use a 4GB stick on units since 2011.  Does not need to be just 2GB.  Get them while you still can.

FAT16 for index E and G models (max 32 MB or try a 64 MB stick)

FAT32 for index G unit and later (upto 4GB stick)