Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Steam Generator Failure

• ares

November 30, 2017 at 4:59 am

Im going to follow another tech on here and try my own anode experiment and install a couple extra anodes and make certain of a mechanical connection of the anode to the boiler, one of the reasons I always like the Market Forge approach to anodes, threaded connection as opposed to Cleveland with the hanging hook. I would be very curious to see the decay process of anode slightly above water line, although mitigation of corrosion to boiler shell above water line would be minimal, would still like to see level of corrosion to anode placed there. Unfortunately all this experimentation is on my customer’s dime. Fortunately I have a large sample pool to choose from with many varied water sources. 

• olivero

November 30, 2017 at 8:53 am

Yeah, good idea. You could add carbon filters to it as well.

December 1, 2017 at 5:33 am

I think Fixbear touched on this first. Electrolysis can be the result of many sources, and anodes may not be enough. Anodes will take care of the dissimilar metal/mineral issue in the boiler. The minerals in the boiler sort of create a battery effect, inside the boiler. The anode creates a discharge path, through the hanger/strap. The chemical reaction occurs because of the dissimilar metals and eats the anode. You may be experiencing some additional electrolysis from outside the unit.

Electricity leaking from other sources can also cause this. You might try grounding the snot out of the unit and see if this helps any. Or, the opposite, insulating it from outside sources. IE; insulate the legs from the floor and the gas line, if possible.

Good luck ! Let us know how things turn out.   

• fixbear

December 1, 2017 at 7:13 am

There is a reason they put dielectric unions on quality water heaters piping with their anodes

Page 2 of 2