Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives What does LA-1 mean shown in the electronic readout on the face of the fridge?

• What does LA-1 mean shown in the electronic readout on the face of the fridge?

Posted by guest on November 17, 2017 at 12:00 am

Just wanted to know what “LA-1” meant on the electronic readout on the face of the fridge? We just bought several of these fridges for the Spokane VA Hospital

flakflaki replied 3 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • ectofix

November 17, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Most of us here (particularly ME) are technicians working primarily on equipment in the food service sector.  In that realm, Follett only sells ice machines.  Thanks to your question, I now see that Follett also makes refrigerators and freezers, but are classified as “medical-grade”.

On Follett’s website, they offer information many medical-grade product lines and models.  Perhaps if you could identify exactly what yours is, you can find a manual on your refrigerator by using this link:

http://www.follettice.com/healthcare/resources/resources~default.aspx?ind=33 

• john

November 17, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Found this manual for Follett medical grade refrigeration on their website. I don’t know if it’s your model, but the codes match the issue.

http://www.follettice.com/data/streamResource.aspx?loc=resources&id=6280 

So, LA1 means the temperature is below the set point. 

Are you experiencing any problems with the contents of the unit being frozen when they should not be?

• fixbear

November 17, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Follet make a lot of machines, so if you could provide a model number it would help to narrow down the type of controller you have.

If you have a Dixell controller (Emerson) ,  LA means that it has reached the low temp alarm value.

• flakflaki

December 4, 2020 at 7:23 pm

My salad bar is a Dixell and “LA” comes on flashing, do you know how to take care of it?

Thank you!

• fixbear

December 5, 2020 at 7:25 am

do you know how to take care of it?

<div>

Problably! But first I have to know what make and model it is.

</div>

• flakflaki

December 5, 2020 at 11:40 am

The brand and mode is:

Atosa Usa MSF8302

• fixbear

December 6, 2020 at 12:26 pm

Being a Altosa, They haven’t fully developed there support system with part numbers. If you can visually see the top of the controller, retrieve the Dixel number. Basically, you can raise the temp a degree or lower the alarm setting. Being a salad/sandwich prep table, users tend to turn them down to try and keep the top pans cooler. But keeping it closed is the better choice. Altosa doesn’t use a separate evaporator system for the top, so it will never be real cold. After all, heat rises.

You can find a generic control manual here.

Be aware, that if the unit is not cooling, a LA alarm may indicate you have a bad or miss-wired thermistor. Measure the box temp and resistance the the thermistor to tell.

• flakflaki

December 6, 2020 at 12:51 pm

Thank you,

It is my first time dealing with it as a restaurant owner, i found this manual you sent me and i went through all of those steps ( not sure if i did it right)

It had so many i just guessed on most of them and now it is working, keeping the temperature between 37-40 F and the “LA” is gone now , but not sure if i did it right , i hope I didn’t mess it up somehow,

I wish i hade someone to go through all the steps together.

I tried to call some costumer service but they were not able to tell me how to do it. All they told me was what those codes are, but they were not allowed tell me exactly how to set it .

If someone knows and can spear like 5 minutes on the phone so we can go through all the step that would be great.

My email is davincis.stillwater@hotmail.com

Thank you for your time

• ectofix

December 6, 2020 at 12:55 pm

I have nothing to offer except this…in case you need it:

INSTRUCTION MANUAL

• flakflaki

December 6, 2020 at 1:12 pm

I guess i will try to find their costumer service number , maybe they can help me set it up.

Thank you for everything!

• john

November 17, 2017 at 1:03 pm

I should mention this isn’t automatically cause for concern, as these alarms can be set to a specific temperature. I don’t know much about the medical field, so I don’t know what temperatures are appropriate for refrigeration of medical related items. With that in mind, I’d avoid changing these settings until you talk to Follett, specifically if this equipment is new.

If the equipment is used, the previous owner may have set the temperature alarms for their situation, or something could be malfunctioning.

• fixbear

November 17, 2017 at 5:07 pm

I’ve done work for several hospitals in my area. And the one thing I’ve learned about machines placed in such locations is that you have to lock down the controls.  Someone always thinks s they know better than the manufacturer or the tech on the settings.  And it is usually a problem with a open door or added load that causes the warm product.  They like to push buttons.  If these are one of the popular under counter coolers that they place ion a counter for patient drinks or to keep meds cool. They are preset to 38 degrees holding temp. The alarm  is usually a option.

November 24, 2017 at 5:32 am

If you do have a Dixell controller, it is telling you that it has reached the alarm lower setting. There is also a hi temp alarm. These are set independently of the temp setting. If these are medical grade units, they are pre set from Dixell and not necessarily Follett.

I don’t know if you have a set up manual from Follett, but in my experience, it is better to get the model number off the controller and do a search for an operators manual on line. Believe it or not, Heatcraft has an extensive library on these units.

Be forewarned, these controllers are made in Europe and English is not their first language. For example, when they talk about room temperature, they mean the inside of the unit, etc. etc.

All you probably need to do is go into the programing, find the low temp setpoint and drop it down a few degrees from what your box is going to run at.

Good luck, Rico