Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives What is the name of the water treatment compound used in increasing water pH for a Groen Jacketed Kettle?  Any substitute?  Is there something you can buy from a drugstore?

• What is the name of the water treatment compound used in increasing water pH for a Groen Jacketed Kettle?  Any substitute?  Is there something you can buy from a drugstore?

Posted by guest on March 31, 2017 at 12:00 am

What is the name of the water treatment compound used in increasing water pH in a Groen Jacketed Kettle?  Any substitute?  Is there something that you can buy from an ordinary drugstore?

john replied 7 years ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • john

March 31, 2017 at 9:13 am

Hello,

So you want to alter the pH of the water in your Groen kettle. This assumes you’ve tested it with pH strips. There are some questions that arise here: what caused the pH change? Did you add water that wasn’t distilled? (Always use distilled).

If you’ve added water, which is the only thing I can think that could change the pH, it suggests you’ve lost water due to a leak. 

Unfortunately, there is no drug store substitute for Groen’s water treatment kit that I know of. It looks like the compound is just called “Groen water treatment compound.” The MSDS lists the chemicals as proprietary, so we won’t get anywhere with that. Here’s a link to the OEM product: Groen 110324 KIT WATER TREATMENT 1 QT. INCL | Parts Town 

The cheapest Groen kettles still cost thousands of dollars. I’d avoid trying to find a cheap substitute for an expensive machine as you run the risk of more costly repair just to save a few bucks up front.

Beyond that, jacketed kettles literally turn into a bomb if the safety mechanisms fail. Who knows what a substitute compound will do to the inside of the unit or the safety valve. Speaking of the valve, make sure that safety valve is functioning properly. It might be the reason you’ve lost water from a leak.

Here’s a video from WorksafeBC about an explosion of a kettle that occurred after safeties were bypassed and the kettle’s safety valve was jammed Restaurant Kettle Explodes – YouTube 

Finally, since you didn’t provide a model number to work off of, check our library of Groen manuals to learn more about your specific device. Groen Parts & Manuals | Parts Town 

I wish there was a cheap and easy solution I could provide, but there just isn’t.

I hope this helps!

-John