Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Strange Problem with an Imperial ICVG-1 Cpnvection Oven

• Strange Problem with an Imperial ICVG-1 Cpnvection Oven

Posted by guest on February 11, 2018 at 12:00 am

Hi

i have a strange problem with my ICVG-1.

the spark works fine, then i turn the t-stat up and the flames turn on.

after some hour of working, some thing strange happen.

i hear CLICK sound of main Valve but the flames don’t turn on !

i turn down the t-stat and hear a click sound from it that means a temp turned down, but when i turn up the t-stat and hear it’s click sound ! nothing happening and flame not show up.

i will leave it for it self and some times the main valve and t-stat light turn on repeatedly very fast ! i mean really really fast for some times and then stop. then after a 10 ~ 15 minute oven flame turned on and working OK for the rest of the day!

i check a tstat with Multi meter and it works fine,

any idea on the problem guys ?

ectofix replied 6 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ectofix

February 11, 2018 at 5:31 pm

From your description, sounds like an intermittent connection someplace.  I’ll offer some  random suggestions since I’m not there to witness the problem – nor do I have a schematic to see the layout.

To troubleshoot, start out by mentally separating the electrical circuitry.  There are two sides:

a temperature control side… and a burner control side. 

If the ignition module is working and getting consistent input from the temp control, look at the burner control side (from the module to the burner).  If the module ISN’T getting that, then the temp control circuit has an issue someplace.

I suggest doing a really good visual…and maybe a wiggle inspection (as applicable) of your electrical connections.  Take a r-e-a-l-l-y good look at your ground connection at the burner.  If it’s loose or corroded, the flame proof circuit signal may be weak of iffy.

That module in your oven is what’s referred to as an “intermittent pilot” ignition.  Flame must be proven at the pilot before the main burner is allowed to operate.  That ground I mentioned is often easily overlooked, so make sure it’s good.  Also look at the intensity and quality of the pilot flame.  If it looks weak in any way, then the pilot might need to be blown out with some compressed air.

Just some ideas…

• alireza

February 12, 2018 at 3:20 am

hi ectofix

i have checked your solution and it didn’t work for me,

• fixbear

February 12, 2018 at 11:24 am

Check your door switch and motor safety switch. They control the module.

Here is the wiring diagram for ICVG’s file:https://techtown.partstown.com/docs/DOC-3066-imperical-icv-wiring-diagrampdf

• ectofix

February 12, 2018 at 5:50 pm

I’m not sure THAT manual applies to the ICVG-1, since it shows a 24v module using direct spark ignition to a dual burner system (much like a Vulcan Snorkel).

A parts manual I pulled up for Imperial’s ICVG-1 oven shows a 120v module using intermittent pilot to a single burner system.

The “-1” in the OP’s model number might be the distinguishing factor in their model number.

Nonetheless, it appears that Imperial Range joins a group of other manufacturers (like American Range) who made major changes to their convection oven through the years – primarily regarding their gas trains, but didn’t properly distinguish those changes by applying clear and concise updated model numbers to easily tell their applicable technical literature apart.

THAT just gives me a headache.

To make my head hurt even more, I’ve NOW found similarities between the oven diagrams for American Range and Imperial:

I think those engineers were collaborating with each other over a land line…and maybe FAXing each other…back in 2009.

I’m DONE.  Gonna go watch a movie on Netflix…