Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Can a Sunfire series X606R24RRNG be converted to LP?

• Can a Sunfire series X606R24RRNG be converted to LP?

Posted by guest on October 13, 2016 at 12:00 am

Tech support for Garland told me the X series conversion was not possible in the field. Why would they say that? If it is possible, is there a kit?

ectofix replied 7 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • john

October 13, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Checking out the parts list, there’s no kit that I have found. The manual also does not mention conversion. Typically models that can be converted will mention it in the documentation. As far as *why*, I don’t have the technical knowledge to answer that, hopefully one of the members here can provide more insight into their reasoning. I do have to agree though, if the manufacturer says it can’t be done, whether it’s a physical impossibility or they’re just avoiding saying it *shouldn’t* be done, I must recommend taking their advice.

• ectofix

October 14, 2016 at 5:10 pm

I don’t have an answer for Rick.  However, if I had just consulted their tech support and they told me that, then I would’ve asked THEM why…instead perusing the internet for an answer and looking for a way around it.

All I could derive from their manuals is that they’d published a bulletin on this matter some time back…and subsequently removed the conversion kit from their parts manual (I do not have access to that bulletin).  SO…if they (as the manufacturer) said it’s NOT convertible in the field, then it’s NOT.

It’s a moot point.

One more thing-

I could probably do it…and WITHOUT ordering their parts.  Most knowledgeable technicians could.  H-O-W-E-V-E-R, doing so without using OEM parts and the manufacturer’s approval…or by altering the unit in ANY way…puts ALL liability on that technician.  NOT his employer (unless THEY foolishly okayed it) and CERTAINLY not on the manufacturer.  So if something goes horribly wrong due to that UNAPPROVED modification, the so-called technician incurs ALL the ramifications of it.

SO…I WOULDN’T…and neither would most of the REPUTABLE companies/technicians out there.

In our litigious society, that’s gonna be how it is.  We wanna fix stuff and keep the kitchen running.  BUT…we don’t want to be responsible for a building burning down.  ESPECIALLY one full of folks eating out.

A technician didn’t design it or build it.  A technician merely make repairs in accordance with THEIR standards and within the standards of those organizations who SET those standards.