Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Vollrath convection oven not heating after power surge.  Model COA 8005. Any suggestions?

• burtonmac

August 1, 2017 at 9:01 am

Yes. Big help.  Im lacking in electrical dept esp on 240v.  That explains zero volts across the two element legs.  Let me go back and check the contactor again which was my original diagnosis.  So if im getting a zero volt reading on incoming lines to the contactor would that mean I have an outlet or breaker issue??

• fixbear

August 1, 2017 at 3:05 pm

That is correct, you must have lost one phase. The supply should be on a 2 pole breaker with a common bar so that if one trip’s, it trips the other. Having 120 volts means one leg is still working.  Your wiring diagram shows that this machine uses 2 poles of s 3 pole contactor for switching L2 only.  L1 is direct connected to the elements.  Referee to wiring diagram linked above for 40702 model.  Hence your 120 volt reading at each end of the element to ground.  Yor have to go back to the terminal block where the number 6 wires come in to the machine and measure terminal 1 (L2) to terminal 2 (L1) for incoming voltage. Optionally for a quick check you can measure across the top of either 1L1 to T1 on the contactor or L2 to T2 and it should show line voltage or zero if the contactor is energized.

The timer and the door switch, and the thermostat all have to be on for heat contactor to work. You stated earlier that the fans were working and the timer light was on. so how about the bake light? If not, the control thermostat (B1)  is open.

• ectofix

August 3, 2017 at 6:05 pm

burtonmac, please share what you found to be the problem with those of us who made an effort to help you.

Page 2 of 2