Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives i have 2 Imperial gas fryers, the gas useage has doubled, but we are open the same hours.

• i have 2 Imperial gas fryers, the gas useage has doubled, but we are open the same hours.

Posted by guest on August 5, 2019 at 12:00 am

help

guest replied 4 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • eritech1

August 5, 2019 at 5:11 am

Hi

are u producing more product then before?

how do u know that you are using more gas ? And how did u narrow it down to the the deep fryers?

• fixbear

August 5, 2019 at 8:24 am

Sounds like more of a metering problem or your supplier has dropped the therm’s per cubic ft.  In other words, look at your supplier/source.

We would need more information to come to any reason other than that.  Like type of gas,  How it is metered.  What else is running on gas in your building.

It come’s down to “What has Changed”  We are not there to see it, so you have to let us know verbally.

August 5, 2019 at 5:03 pm

we get our gas supply by bottle, 2x tall bottles, we were using 1 a week and now we use both.

our fryers drop dramatically in temperature if we use them too often

they are lit but only a small flame, unless we open the door and fan the door a few times, the flame goes whoosh and it rises the temp

this only starting happening in march, we went from 57L  a week to 132L this week, but open same hours and cooking less

August 5, 2019 at 5:30 pm

we only use the 2 fryers for gas

we have 2 x tall gas bottles, filled weekly by truck

we were using one a week, now both, but open same hours but cooking less

the temp plummets if we use them often

the temp drops to 120, the flame is just on, if we open the door and fan the door a few times the flame goes whoosh and its away

• fixbear

August 5, 2019 at 5:35 pm

Obviously you are the user, not a tech.  But let’s see if we can give you a bit of assitance on this.

You never stated the model of the fryers, so let’s start with some basic fryer info.  Fryers are sized by how many pounds of oil/shortening they hold.  The bigger the vat, the more capacity and less temp drop during frying.  However, if too big it will cost more for oil changes.  Now a simple gas fryer will have a pilot light, and main burner.  It will also have a temp control/thermostat and a safety sensor/limit.  Now it you are having what sounds like a delayed main burner lighting, the temp control has closed and opened the main burner valve.  But it never lit till later.  Thus sending gas up the chimney UN-burned till you disturb the air flow by opening the door.  This is very dangerous as it can cause a explosion.  I suggest you immediately call a service tech to come check why the condition is happening.  Not seeing the burner light is scary to a gas tech.  Perhaps you have one lighting and not the other,  but without the model number I’m not sure of the design.  It may just be a pilot location or burner hole plugged or dirty.  But the burners should light immediately when the thermostat closes.  Open the door and watch as you turn the t-stat up.  You should hear the main gas valve click and both burners light.  If only one lights, shut it down and call a tech. 

August 5, 2019 at 5:46 pm

imperial Gas Fryers brought from Safco NZ

• fixbear

August 5, 2019 at 6:49 pm

inside on the door or left side wall should be a model number

August 5, 2019 at 8:14 pm

IFS-40-OP

• eritech1

August 5, 2019 at 8:47 pm

Either way I would highly suggest u get maintenance done on ur units, they are probably really dirty and they should be maintained every once in a while to avoid these types of issues. Also wen u clean the oil the bottom has a lot of crust buildup sometimes and messes with the temp readings. 

• fixbear

August 6, 2019 at 8:18 am

OK,  With a IFS 40 you have ceramic targets with nine separate orifices in a horseshoe fashion around the fat tank.  I don’t know what altitude you are at, but gas pressure and orifice diameter are critical to clean burning.  I suspect you have a dirty condition with the bottom of the fryer. It may be a soot build-up, or chimney blockage causing a air flow problem.  Or it may be orifice dirt.   The pilot only lights the very first orifice on the right side. From there the flame transfer’s to the next and then the next and so on.  Nine times   If a orifice is obstructed and does not light as it is supposed to the fuel gas and air just go up the chimney UN-burned and too lean to light.  (Propane has a very narrow window of flammability.)  You can have 8 burning and one not.  More common though is the 5th orifice in the back is the one not lighting and there fore the whole left side never lights.

To fix this one has to remove the whole burner assembly and clean the  orifices.  Examine and replace any damaged targets.  And clean the tank bottom and chimney area.  Then reassemble, test and set the gas pressure with a manometer

Page 1 of 2