Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives I accidentally broke the thermometer probe. If i but the replacement probe am i able to change them over or does a technician need to do this?

• I accidentally broke the thermometer probe. If i but the replacement probe am i able to change them over or does a technician need to do this?

Posted by guest on December 1, 2016 at 12:00 am

Am i able to install the new one or does a technician need to come and change them over? Thanks

ectofix replied 6 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • ectofix

December 1, 2016 at 7:28 pm

I take you’re talking about the meat probe, or what Rational calls the “core” probe.  Those probes are hard-wired all the way back to the control board (control panel) connection.  An adequate set of various metric wrenches is required to replace that probe.

You didn’t state an oven model number.  On electrically heated ovens, it’s not overly difficult to replace.  You certainly must remove ALL electrical power from the oven before attempting it.  Gas heated units are another story, since there’s other components in the way which hinder access to the probe leads’ through-wall bulkhead fitting.

Those probes are wired through the oven’s sidewall and connect directly to the control board.  I don’t know your technical prowess or your capability with using tools.  As such, I highly recommend that you have a technician replace it.

If the oven is still under warranty, then you most CERTAINLY need to have an authorized warrant service provider do it.  That’s more or less a stipulation of ANY manufacturer, since any repairs done to that oven while it’s still under warranty which were done by an UNAUTHORIZED service company can possibly void the warranty.

So, if you call any ole Joe Blow (with the cheapest rate) to fix it and he’s not a certified technician and messes it up, most manufacturers (including Rational) will frown upon that.

• olivero

December 2, 2016 at 8:51 am

Been there seen it and fixed it. But then again, I am a tech….. What I know about these hardwired POS probes on Cleveland units is that changing them is horrible. You have to take the top cover of the oven off, dismantle part of the door and TRY to pull new wire with the old one but it never works. There is a track on top of the oven where they put a piece of sheetmetal over the wire to cover it and “protect it” which the cable gets caught in when you try to pull it and Cleveland uses these strange fancy connectors that you have to take apart individually in order to rewire it. SO I would suggest having a tech do it because even as a tech, it sucks.

Now tell us, how did you do it? I have seen it done in many strange ways.

• ectofix

December 2, 2016 at 10:03 am

LOL!  I’ve heard about those Clevelands.  Never did one, though.

The Rational probe cable (following it from its probe end) goes behind the blower baffle and passes through the left cooking compartment wall…at about 10:30 to 11 o’clock of the blower wheel.(essentially – right behind the control panel).  After it passes through, excess cable is gathered and tied by the obligatory “special” wire ties, then it plugs into the back of the control panel.

Not at all difficult on the Rational.  The gas units are a bit more challenging because steam burner blower is right in the way of accessing the bulkhead fitting.

• olivero

December 2, 2016 at 10:24 am

Pff. Well in that case I guess he could o it himself?

Maybe, perhaps? I don’t know since I never did a Rational but it seems they choose the more rational (hahahha) way to do their probes.

• buddy-moore

December 2, 2016 at 6:04 pm

I would have a tech replace. Only reason I say this his is just what the others said before. What if you end up doing more damage? That’s one expensive oven and the parts are too…. would you let a mobile mechanic off of Craigslist work on your Lamborghini? 

• ectofix

December 2, 2016 at 7:05 pm

You pretty much nailed it.

About four months ago, I completed what automotive guys would call a rotisserie restoration on a Rational SCC101…without the luxury of that rotisserie thingie.  I tore down and rebuilt that $20K oven to a level only the German factory workers had experience with.  There wasn’t a bolt or rivet that I didn’t remove.  Had to do some plasma cutting and welding to it too.  I learned allot about how those countertop ovens are put together.

This video doesn’t scratch the surface to reflect what I REALLY had to do.  So M-A-N-Y hours working on it:

COMPLETE COMBI-OVEN REBUILD: Before & After – YouTube 

Maybe this word-picture will describe it:

I contemplated, eyeballed, researched, dreamed about, sought options/resources, sought out materials/went shopping, forklifted, heated with torch, pried, hammered, drilled, tapped threads, measured, X-acto-knife cut, plasma cut, band saw cut, cut with grinder, filed, degreased, MIG welded, plastic welded (we have a kit for that), used a grinder/wire wheel, sanded, degreased again, primed, painted, eliminated pesky insects, disassembled, sorted, organized, pressure washed, washed in buckets, cleaned with solvents, scrubbed with scrubby pads, scraped with razor blades, polished, vacuumed, reassembled, cut with pipe cutter, soldered pipe, troubleshot, repaired wiring, replaced many expensive parts, updated software, calibrated and…worked MUCH overtime.

All that while, I found myself occasionally gazing at it in wonderment as to how an oven that’s 2/3 the size of my side-by-side refrigerator could possibly cost more than what I paid for my 2013 Hyundai Elantra.

OH…By the way.  I’m selling my ’05 Silverado 2500HD.  Just above 60K miles on it. Located in mid-TN.  ANYBODY? 

• ragu33176

January 24, 2018 at 8:45 pm

I dont know if you’ve done it yet but it’s simple . When you buy the new probe they usualy come wit instructions. Just fish it back through the wholes ,use a couple of metric wrenchs  and unplugit from the board , then reverse your steps . I make it sound simple but it really isn’t that hard . Just dont leave any of the wires hanging . Put it back the way it was .

• ectofix

January 25, 2018 at 5:49 am

In electric units, it is pretty straight forward.  Counter-top gas ovens are a different story, though.