Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Why would hot water be running over evaporator constantly?

• Why would hot water be running over evaporator constantly?

Posted by guest on May 1, 2017 at 12:00 am

I have a Manitowoc under the counter ice machine. Model#UD 0310W-161B. When turned on it will cycle once. After the one cycle the water gets really hot. It does not cycle again,just runs hot water constantly over evaporator. Does anyone have a solution?

olivero replied 5 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • john

May 2, 2017 at 9:20 am

Good morning,

I see some duplicate posts about this same issue. Please sign up (it’s free and we won’t spam you, just set up your account and choose not to receive notifications) and then reply to this thread. All subsequent posts will be deleted.

Check out the Manitowoc technician’s manual for your undercounter ice machine here: http://www.manitowocice.com/asset/?id=vuczr 

Is the incoming water the proper temperature? Is this something that is only now occurring after a period of standard operation? That is, was your ice machine working properly before and it now is not? Or, did you just install it, perhaps getting it used?

Reading about the sequence of operation, the refrigerant (while it is hot) is used to warm the evaporator and release the ice cubes from the evaporator; if there’s a refrigerant problem, that would possibly explain why the water is hot.

The only other thing I can think of is that the incoming water is too hot. Once your first batch of ice is made, the rest of the water is purged and goes down the drain, so the new water coming in should be cold. I suppose when it happens again, turn off the water supply (or just the machine) and check to see how how the evaporator is. If it’s very hot, then you have a refrigerant system issue.

• fixbear

May 2, 2017 at 11:14 am

One,  You have a water supply problem. The machine needs cold water only.  Check for a back feed from a sink that has both valves open and a spray wand or connected to something else.  Inlet water can not be above 90F.  Better around 55 or less for a water cooled machine. 

Two,  you must have a water coming into the machine constantly.  The water solenoid valve may be hanging open and the incoming water is more than the cooling system can make ice with. Or the float switch is stuck in the down position and constantly filling the tank.   You should also check the dump valve for leakage.   And that the machine is level and not leaking any water out of the drain pan into the ice bin area. 

May 4, 2017 at 8:10 am

The machine is hooked up to cold water only. There is no back feed. It has been working for over 3 years with no problem. When it dumps the first load is when the water starts getting hot. I think the evaporator warms up to dump the ice and the evaporator sticks in this warming stage and it gets hotter the longer it sticks. What is causing it to keep stay in this warming stage?

• fixbear

May 4, 2017 at 1:21 pm

Hot gas bypass valve is open.  Check to see if the power to it is off.  If passing hot gas to the evaporator without power you will need to replace it.  You will need a licensed refrigeration person for this.  If after harvest the power doesn’t stop to the valve you have a control problem.  Most likely the board relay.

May 5, 2017 at 12:09 am

Thanks for the information. The best I’ve gotten. I’m taking it to an ice machine repair man tomorrow. I will pass the information to him. I had a repair company come out and they did nothing but charge me way to much. The machine had just started doing it and it didn’t do it all the time. Of course it didn’t do it at all the two hours they were here. It started giving trouble again the next day and just kept getting worse. Thanks again for the information. It’s nice to know there are people who are still willing to help others with knowledge. 

• mewservices

March 15, 2019 at 1:18 am

Did you ever get this repaired? If so

what was the problem. Also you said that you had a repair company come out and look at it and they charged you way too much. What was there fee if you don’t mind me asking?

Thank You! 

• olivero

March 15, 2019 at 12:13 pm

Sounds like the harvest or hot gas solenoid is staying open.

I’d be curious to know what it ends up being, should be easy to tell with some gauges.

• fixbear

March 15, 2019 at 4:17 pm

Olivero,  this is 2 years old.  But it would be nice to know how he made out and if it got repaired or replaced.

• olivero

March 15, 2019 at 4:48 pm

I know, but I’m still curious.