Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Traulsen G-series Refrigerator

• Traulsen G-series Refrigerator

Posted by guest on October 11, 2018 at 12:00 am

Frig was turned on right away after it was horizontal for about 1 hour of transport. It ran for a day and wouldn`t get below 40 degrees. Will turning it off for 24 hourshelp return any oil that might have bled into the refrigerant line back into the compressor?

fixbear replied 5 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • fixbear

October 12, 2018 at 8:08 am

Unfortunately, no.  When a used compressor gets turned on it’s side the wear particles in the oil sump get disturbed.  If the unit is started without a 24 hour rest to allow everything to settle back out it gets pumped into the filter dryer and metering system. Sometimes it even locks up the compressor.  And it is possible that a cylinder of the compressor will fill with oil. At start up it will either break the valve spring or blow a hole in the compressor pump head.  The other thing that happens is if transported sideways is the motor inside the compressor hangs on springs with a special wire to feed it power curled around it.  Being sideways every bounce on the road makes the motor collide with the case and sometimes the wiring. This of course will cause a short or even a open.

Enough background.  One should never lay one down. Absolutely never transport down.  And even if laid over to get through a doorway to wait 24 hours before powering.

You will need to contact a refrigeration tech to check your cooler out. If the compressor is running, you may have a low charge or restriction in the high liquid side.  Or simply a dirty condenser or lack of air movement.

• fixbear

October 12, 2018 at 10:38 am

I forgot to ask you if it was working prior to the transport?  And if you locked down the condenser unit?  The screw that keeps it in place is often removed for service and not put back in.

• marsh

October 12, 2018 at 12:51 pm

The frigerator was working fine prior to transport and after being set in place from transport and plugged in the temperature did drop to 40 degrees but noticed it kept switching to dff (defrost mode) which I have never seen on a frigerator before. Why does it need a defrost mode?

Anyway, I will turn it back on next week and see how it operates. I will call the tech out if the compressor gets hot after  being on for a little bit. 

• ectofix

October 12, 2018 at 4:25 pm

marsh wrote:

Why does it need a defrost mode?

All refrigerators have a defrost period.  It occurs between the cut-out to cut-in period while the thermostat is satisfied.

Traulsen’s INTELA-TRAUL electronic control simply includes a pre-programmed defrost cycle every hour of operation.  In a refrigerator, the evaporator fans continue to run since no heating element is used (or needed).

Traulsen Owners Manual – G-Series Reach-In & Pass-Thru Refrigerators, Freezers & Hot Food Holding Cabinets (2008-2010) 

INTELA-TRAUL MASTER SERVICE MANUAL 

• fixbear

October 12, 2018 at 5:24 pm

Can you give us some history on this machine, such as new to you or just changed locations, age.  And the full model number.  Serial number also helps to know what programming it was sent out with. 

Also check the programmed temps. especially the SPH (set point high) and SPL (set point low).  They should be between 38 and 40F for SPH and 32 to 34 SPL  There has to be 5 degrees between them for efficiency.  33 and 38 are the norm if you have fragile perishables like endive.. If your using it as a bottle cooler, 30 to 31 is not uncommon for SPL

• fixbear

October 12, 2018 at 8:32 pm

Why does it need a defrost mode?

To cool the box the evaporator coil has to have a differential of more than 10 degrees.  Actual coil temps will get to about 15F in a reach in.  That means any moisture in the air will freeze on the coil as ice.  So the coil has to get above 36F to shed the ice in a timely fashion and across the whole coil.. In a refigerator/cooler this is done by waiting for the box to come back up to between 36 and 38 degrees. This way product stays in the safe zone. A meat cooler acualy is kept at 28 degrees and requires a defrost heater, but not as big as a freezer.

• marsh

October 13, 2018 at 2:28 pm

traulsen model 20010 serial number T46794B07, I think the refrigerator was used previously in a daycare center. It is new to me and I saw it operating twice before buying it. the temperature reading was 39F each time I saw it. 

• fixbear

October 13, 2018 at 10:23 pm

I think you clock may not be set.  The defrost is supposed to happen at night.  And you can add up to 4 defrost lockout times for high usage times. Each will provide 2 hours of exemption.  I was very surprised that they use both a coil sensor and a box sensor in a refrigerator on that model.. Read the programming manual and set the clock.  Every time it is unplugged, you will have to reset the clock as it will go to 12:00am once unplugged.  Try it before adding any lock outs. Be sure to place a known to be accurate thermometer inside to verify the temp to the read out. A offset can be added if off.

operator manual is here;

https://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/TR-GSERIESAFTER2010_iom.pdf