Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums I have a southbend silver star convection oven that will not light (model slgs/12sc)

• ectofix

January 12, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Although the hot surface igniter glows, that doesn’t mean it’s good.  Nevertheless, it could be something else.

It’s an ignition problem, so we’re playing with fire (or the lack thereof) in an enclosed space.  The LACK of proper ignition could mean gas buildup and inadvertent (or delayed) ignition, which can have some rather dynamic (or explosive) consequences.

As a technician, it’s incumbent upon me to NOT put you in harm’s way by giving you a step-by-step.to troubleshoot your problem through just this post on the internet.  In this case, a technician needs to look at it.

Why?  Because I have NO idea of your level of knowledge or skills for addressing such matters when it involves a potentially dangerous situation within your oven.

Since it’s an ignition problem, I suggest unplugging the unit and shutting off its gas supply to prevent any further attempts to use it.  Then…make a phone call for a service company to look at it.

There are certain tests which a knowledgeable and experienced technician can perform to determine your problem and repair it.