Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives scotsman dc33 not making ice

• scotsman dc33 not making ice

Posted by guest on March 4, 2017 at 12:00 am

I have a Scotsman Dc33 that isn’t making ice.. the unit/coils under the unit get very hot.  please help thank you

ectofix replied 7 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • ectofix

March 4, 2017 at 5:36 pm

The manual I found for that machine is dated 1994.

DC33 Manual

If that’s any indication of how old that machine is, then it has served you well for many years.  In a commercial setting, there aren’t  many machines around anymore that are that old.

That unit is a household model (vice commercial)…just so you know.  If it has any major issues, then the cost of fixing it may exceed the cost of replacing it with a new one.

Take a look at page 20 of the manual.  There’s a long list of possible problems that can prevent it from making ice.  There’s no way we can tell you what exactly needs to be fixed.  It could be a minor problem…or it could be major one.  The fact that it’s blowing hot air from the coils is actually a GOOD indication.

Two facts that are the dominant reasons for ice machine failure.  They fail due to:

Lack of cleaning Issues with water controls

The former usually is a causal factor for the latter.

What I’m getting at is that you should first CLEAN the machine.  Follow all instructions beginning on page 15 of the manual.  It’s probably OVERDUE, so do it all.  In doing so, you might find what’s causing the problem.

Anything beyond that, I recommend calling a technician to come take a look at it.