Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums royal rft-50 fryer pilot light won’t stay lit. brand new thermocoupler was bought two weeks ago, has worked for two weeks then stopped.

• ectofix

October 4, 2017 at 5:29 am

What do you DO?

WELL…were you able to get it to stay lit after the fryer cooled back down?

• fixbear

October 4, 2017 at 8:19 am

I know what most of us would do,  Get out the multi meter and find out what is open or not working.

• fixbear

October 4, 2017 at 8:55 am

I should clarify my remark.  There are 4 things that will cause a inability to maintain the pilot.

1 Lack of gas

2  Loose wiring in the curcuit

3  no power from the thermopile

4  open high temp safety limit.

If the thermopile has a very high pilot flame, you can destroy it.   If the high limit has been tripping from a high temp setting,  It will fail with repeated trips. Many are auto reset and can be re-lit after the fryer cools down, some have a manual reset red button that has to be pushed in to relight.  But with the nature of a fryer, grease gets airborne and sometimes enters the high limit making the point contact have high resistance and not be able with such low voltage to carry enough current to hold in the gas solenoids. We are taking 750 millivolts here.  It’s not uncommon for the high limit to also fail if the fryer constantly is working above 365F  It’s just a Bordon tube pressure against a spring that activates a micro switch.  Springs get weak with time.  So as the machine ages, the set point will drop.