Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives where do i locate the model number tag for my delfield/ alco refrigerator

• where do i locate the model number tag for my delfield/ alco refrigerator

Posted by guest on August 1, 2016 at 12:00 am

Can you tell me where to locate the model # on my delfied/alco fridge?  I can’t seem to find one.

The issue is the condenser on the unit freezes up.  I believe the defrost is not working and the unit doesn’t seem to be cycling off.  Any suggestions?

Thank you.         

ectofix replied 7 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • badbozo2315

August 1, 2016 at 7:57 pm

> The issue is the condenser on the unit freezes up

>Any suggestions?

(Sam Kinison voice here, at loud volume)

AH! AH! AH!  OMG!  You’ve crossed the beams, or lines or something. Run away!

While I’m not a reefer tech, I occationally have to play one at work.

Delfield tags are generally near the sled on built-in units, or underneath the, uh, overhang.  Get low and look upwards with a flashlight. I’m sure others(tm) will know more.

And I suspect you mean the EVAPORATOR is iceing up. Pull the plug for a night, prop the door open, let it defrost. Check the door gaskets, and make sure the doors close fully. When defrosted, blow out (downwards) the evaporator drain tube to clear it out. Restart.  It probably does not have a defrost cycle, as it should not be running into a freezing temperature for long before cycling off on the thermostat. To go more into this you need a tech, really. Could be refrigerant charge related, other fun stuff.

• olivero

August 1, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Delfield units, open the right door and look on the right wall, should be right there.

If your condenser (the one inside the cooled area) is freezing up, Its either, too much humidity on the coil or you got a refrigerant leak. I have had expansion valves leak and create that phenomena as well as one of the elbows in the coil sprung a leak and did the same. Is it the entire coil or just a section?

IF humidity is getting in the unit, either through the door like a bad door gasket or people are loading in steaming hot food (in the roll in units) that can also do it.

No need to turn it off overnight, just open the top and pour warm water down the coil, sloooowly. then just defrost it like that and not only are you defrosting it but also doing a small cleaning action, so its faster for you and better for it. Unless you own no tools and don’t wan’t to do that, then just turn it off lol. Below is a picture of a leaking TXV on the right side with the bubbles. That for example, caused that phenomena.Best shot.jpg

• ectofix

August 2, 2016 at 5:08 am

All three locations stated are possiblities.  As Badbozo pointed out, Delfield did put their data sticker on the underside of the overhanging ledge for some years.

I had two undercounter SilverKing coolers recently that appeared to have no data plate, since there wasn’t one in the usual locations.  Some days later I remembered about those old Delfields (sticker under-the-ledge ones) and went back for another look.  Wasn’t there either, but I found their data stickers inside the box…affix to the CEILING – of all places!  I guess they figured its info was less likely to get washed/rubbed off if they put it there.