Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Henny Penny Fryer LVE103 – Start Capacitor?

• Henny Penny Fryer LVE103 – Start Capacitor?

Posted by guest on July 17, 2018 at 12:00 am

Hi guys, I have a Henny Penny LVE103 deep fryer. When we filter the vats there is sometimes a loud electrical buzz sound as the pump motor kicks in. I am thinking it is the start capacitor on the Leeson pump motor (67583) which is less than a year old so should be covered under warranty, however, apparently the warranty doesn’t cover the capacitor, however, the capacitor is not sold as a replacement part (crazy). Anyone had this issue, do you agree it sounds like the capacitor and if so do you know the exact start capacitor I need? Thanks in advance.

ectofix replied 5 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • ectofix

July 17, 2018 at 8:31 pm

No, that’s not crazy.  The capacitor is mounted piggy-back on the motor.  Generally that’s considered by the equipment manufacturer (Henny Penny) to be part of the motor.  Don’t be concerned that it’s a Leason.  That’s Henny Penny’s business to deal with them.

So if the capacitor is the culprit (as you THINK), then the whole motor would be replaced under warranty by an authorized warranty service provider.

You said you THINK it’s the capacitor, right?  What makes you THINK that?  The only way of knowing for sure is to properly troubleshoot it it.  That way you’d KNOW. 

I THINK you should call Henny Penny for warranty service. 

• mazzio

July 18, 2018 at 1:41 am

Hey thanks ectofix for stating the OBVIOUS and being no help at all. I THINK its the capacitor because thats what my Henny Penny service tech THINKS it is. My Henny Penny rep is the one who says the capacitor is not covered under warranty. I THINK you should not waste your time answering a question when you are only interested in being patronising.

• fixbear

July 18, 2018 at 5:22 am

What Ectofix is saying, is find the problem.  Don’t guess.  It could be a loss of heat to the pump, a particle in the pump gears. And depending on the motor design, a repulse switch.  You got a answer from the manufacturer about a capacitor because they don’t service the capacitor separately.  If it’s under warranty, just call them and say that the pump doesn’t work. They will just replace it. solves the whole problem for them because troubleshooting to find a problem takes time. And few techs actually can do it efficiently..

• fixbear

July 18, 2018 at 7:02 am

Back to the original question,  you stated that you had (sometimes a loud electrical buzz sound )  This could be a solenoid valve problem, not pump. Or even a contactor trying to close but not seating. Locating the actual sound is the first step.  Motors normally don’t buzz, but hum if locked. Buzz’s are from a armature that is unable to seat and rattles inside the coil/frame.

Coil rattle is normally caused by a low voltage to the coil. Often the result of wiring resistance. Or wrong coil rating. On rare occasions one will find a solenoid plunger (armature) that is stuck from some form of infiltration.

• ectofix

July 18, 2018 at 5:07 pm

Thanks for the ellaboration fixbear.  Well done.

While composing my post last night, I was too busy finishing a grill out to spend any significant amount of my OFF time on it.  Yet, I was still offering up a smidgen of my valuable free time to help someone by simply stating the truth and directly offer some sage advice. 

I guess I should have sugar-coated it some so I wouldn’t offend that person by being my normally CURT self.

Not that it matters now, but I think that the stated Henny Penny service technician might be a little lost and that getting a second opinion might be in order. 

Troubleshooting fryer filter systems can be somewhat intimidating for newer techs. 

Of course, this is assuming that OTHER possible contributing factors (that we don’t know about)…such as attempting to filter oil without filter paper in the filter pan – might actually be causing the problem. 

In such a case, INDEED – warranty won’t cover that.

• fixbear

July 18, 2018 at 5:12 pm

Today’s generation would not have survived in mine.  We were always blunt and to the point. 

• ectofix

July 18, 2018 at 6:06 pm