Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Convotherm 4, E05.1.8

• Convotherm 4, E05.1.8

Posted by guest on March 26, 2018 at 12:00 am

Well, Another one to solve.

Top burner ignition failure. Top is 1, 2 is boiler (don’t have a boiler on this one), 3 is bottom.

This one was first looked into because there was a loud gunshot noise coming from the oven, turned out it was the top burner when it lit. I pulled the burner  and this is what the igniter looked like.

Spoke to Convotherm tech support and was instructed to replace the igniter, did that as well as their 25 minute on high heat “burn in” period to prevent premature warping. 2-3 days later the same error code occurs, I pull the burner again.

It’s warped, so I replace the igniter again thinking this one was just a faulty part. 2-3 days later, same error code appears. Looks like the above picture but less warped and so I realign everything, check gap and bring the electrodes back in level like Convotherm specifices. Check all the electrical connections on the ignition module and the combustion blower, check that the combustion blower is spinning freely.

Next day the same error code appears, I don’t hear about it until 2-3 days later when its happened 2-3 more times. pretty much daily now.

Trying to get some help from Convotherm but its taking time that I don’t have, this unit keeps being a problem despite all the work that’s being put into it.

Any idea what it could be other than the igniter? Perhaps something is wrong with the igniters? These are spark style.

Could the ignition module be going bad?

olivero replied 6 years ago 1 Member · 68 Replies
  • 68 Replies
  • ectofix

March 26, 2018 at 4:47 pm

My first thought:

Maybe some blockage of the burner’s metal mesh is causing undesirable flame characteristics.

Have you ever cleaned those burners?  If not, then I suggest that.  That’s a major step closer to getting the burner back into virgin condition.

• olivero

March 26, 2018 at 4:49 pm

I checked that when I pulled it, it is pretty clean, I shine my light through it and I can see the light through the mesh.

Unit’s only 2 years old. 

I could pull it again and double check. Unfortunately with the Convotherm 4 they removed the inspection glass they had on the former model that at least would let you look into the burner compartment so you could see what was going on.

Just getting tired of pulling this burner out.

• bush

March 26, 2018 at 5:13 pm

question #1:  do you have a combustion analyzer?

question #2:   what is your static and dynamic gas pressure for this unit?

question #3:   what is your elevation?

question #4:  LP or nat. gas?

• ectofix

March 26, 2018 at 5:15 pm

Yes, I know what a PITA that is to pull those burners.

Allot of kitchen vapors and such can get sucked in there after two years. 

Put the burner in a bucket and soak it with some general purpose cleaner like Spray Nine, Fantastic or whatever you got.  Rinse, blast with compressed (blowing from outside in), let air dry and put it back in.

Also check and clean the air inlet hoses and the burner blower too.

How is gas feed to the burners adjusted on the Convotherms.  Using a combustion analyzer?

• ectofix

March 26, 2018 at 5:16 pm

There ya go.  Good questions.

• olivero

March 26, 2018 at 5:29 pm

Lol, they got some odd new design to keep it on there, this “smart clip” that’s darn near impossible to get back on while holding the burner (alone, that is) 

Do I need to check it again first? How do I know if its clean? I’ll have time tomorrow morning to pull the burner again and they will be using it for the rest of the day, so its plotting time.

“How is gas feed to the burners adjusted on the Convotherms.  Using a combustion analyzer?”

Yes, 

• olivero

March 26, 2018 at 5:34 pm

1: Yes, we have one here. these are the readings from May 2016, when both burners were calibrated with Ecolab (unit was under warranty still) 

Top Burner

Min Speed                              Max Speed

02: 3.7%                                02: 3.4%

CO:20 PPM                           CO: 29 PPM

Eff: 83.8%                              Eff: 76.7%

CO2: 10.1 %                          CO2: 9.9%

Temp: 307*F                          Temp: 616 *F

Co (o): 22 PPM                      Co (o) : 35 PPM

Bottom Burner

Min Speed                              Max Speed

02: 3.1%                                02: 3.4%

CO:18 PPM                           CO: 29 PPM

Eff: 84.8%                              Eff: 76.7%

CO2: 10.1 %                          CO2: 10.3%

Temp: 307*F                          Temp: 616 *F

Co (o): 22 PPM                      Co (o) : 35 PPM

These are the original readings, they were dialed in afterwards, I can’t find the numbers from when it happened, it was done with Ecolab.

2. 5.1″ W.C dynamic with burner on high, that’s on the inlet side of the gas valve, not manifold side. 6.4″ static.

3. according to google, its 30′ (clearwater, FL)

4. Its Natural Gas.

• bush

March 26, 2018 at 5:40 pm

Those are great readings to have.  I find it helpful to leave that documentation inside the control panel where it can be used for comparison purposes.  Which will lead me to question #5:  what are your combustion readings TODAY ?  look for some kind of a change to lead you to the excessive heat at the ignitor area.  Additionally, is it at all possible that something could have fallen into the flue outlet for the heat exchanger?   Even small bits of foil, loose hardware or water from hood cleaners can cause funky back pressures within the combustion chamber.  

• ectofix

March 26, 2018 at 5:46 pm

olivero wrote:

How do I know if its clean?

You’ll know when you immerse the burner in the cleaning solution I’d suggested.  Check it twenty minutes later and you’ll have an adequate visual cue that you’re making progress.  The solution will have turned brownish. 

I don’t remove and clean our burners on a regular basis.  However, when I have to pull one, I clean it before putting it back in.   I have some tech literature from Rational explaining to do this.  The method I use is simply mine.

• fixbear

March 26, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Your picture shows that the flame retention -anti flashback mesh has had a very high heat.  Like the flame was inside it instead of one the surface. O hole to large somewhere?

Page 1 of 7