Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives I just bought a qd0202a machine and it dont drop the ice

• I just bought a qd0202a machine and it dont drop the ice

Posted by guest on August 5, 2016 at 12:00 am

I just bought a qd0202a ice maker and it makes ice and don’t want to  drop it

ectofix replied 7 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • olivero

August 5, 2016 at 8:35 am

Does it make the ice but just does not drop it?

• ectofix

August 5, 2016 at 8:50 am

I take it you bought a used one.

1st thing you should do is clean it using the chemicals and procedures outlined inside the door that covers the ice making section.  There may be an almost indiscernible coating of lime scale that’s causing the ice to hang up.  Make sure you use only Manitowoc ice machine cleaner and sanitizer.  Follow the cleaning procedures to the letter.

If a cleaning doesn’t correct the problem, there may be a major and expensive problem with the machine:

Look at your evaporator plate (as pictured above):

It may have lost some of its nickel coating due to the use wrong chemicals during past cleanings..  If so, then the evaporator will require replacement. Another possibility is that some of the partitions forming the grid on the evaporator plate have broken free from the back plate (they’re welded at the factory).  If you can see any gaps between any partition strips and the back of the evaporator plate, that’s a problem.  Another way to inspect for this is by looking at the corners where those partitions meet (where they form each individual cube).  If the outermost edges of the horizontal & vertical partitions aren’t flush with each other, that also reveals this problem.  Lastly, often times if partitions have come loose, they can be pushed back in.  However, that only further validates the problem, since the partitions SHOULD NOT MOVE.  They will eventually work their way back out again over time.  So if that’s what you’re seeing…then AGAIN – the evaporator requires replacement.

If the evaporator plate is okay, then ANOTHER possibility is a faulty harvest valve.  It’s located in back and is part of the refrigeration system.  If it’s not opening properly (or at all), then the evaporator plate won’t heat up to harvest the ice.

These are some of the usual possible problems that cause ice not to drop.  I highly recommend that you contact an impartial service company (NOT the dealer you bought it from) to take an objective look at it.  Explain your situation to them and show them a copy of this post.

If the machine has major issues (as I’d stated above or otherwise), then I hope that whoever you bought it from offered you some kind of a warranty.