Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Hatco TQ-800HBA 208v single phase.  I do not have this option of voltage so considering converting to 240v or buying a buck boost.  Anyone done this before?

• Hatco TQ-800HBA 208v single phase.  I do not have this option of voltage so considering converting to 240v or buying a buck boost.  Anyone done this before?

Posted by guest on May 17, 2017 at 12:00 am

I bought this toaster for $300 from a restaurant liquidation thinking it was 240v.  Went to pick it up, it is 208v only. Crap.  It looks brand new and is super clean.  According to the plate, it was made in Jan 2016.  It is 208v 2 wire single phase 60 hz 3280 watts  15.8 amps.  I bought it thinking we could put it on our food truck but I only have 120/240v.  So I figure I got three options:

1) Buy the replacement parts and convert it to 240v ~ $310.  elements, motor and sprocket.  All other parts are identical according to parts manual.  Still half price or better.

2) Buy a 5000va Buck Booster to take the 240v to 208v ~ $329

3) Resell it for a little profit and look for a 240V model but doubt I can find one this nice without spending a lot more.

Any thoughts on the best path to take?  Has anyone done either the booster or conversion before?

Thanks

fixbear replied 6 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • olivero

May 17, 2017 at 5:23 pm

I would do the transformer option, easier, less chance of messing it up and you won’t have to mess with stuff set up in the factory, and if you ever did decide to resell it, then you can still do that as the original without needing to tell the person buying it, that you messed with the factory stuff to make it work.

• albumen

May 17, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Had not thot of the resell option and factory setup.  I just do not know how reliable they are as an add=on.  I know they are in tons of equipment but unsure as an add=on.  Seems ok.  Do you have any experience with them as a plug n play option?

• fixbear

May 17, 2017 at 7:58 pm

You can just change the heaters and it will function fine.  The drive motor is a “C”  frame and tolerant to voltage variations.  Be aware that this machine only toast on one side, not both.  That said, food trucks voltage are all over the place,  Error on the high side with the elements.  It will last longer and just cook a bit slower.  Cost about $100. for elements (3).

• olivero

May 19, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Never used one but tradiotional, high quality transformers don’t normally go bad that often.

• fixbear

May 20, 2017 at 6:24 am

I’ve installed about 50 over the years for all kinds of stuff.  Precision MH exposure lights were the fussy ones.