Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives I have a commerial six burner stove and am remodeling my kitchen. I’m wondering if it is possible to put cupboard next to this model

• I have a commerial six burner stove and am remodeling my kitchen. I’m wondering if it is possible to put cupboard next to this model

Posted by guest on September 20, 2016 at 12:00 am

I have a 6 burner part griddle South bend stove. I am remodeling my kitchen and wonder if I can put cupboards next to this stove. I think it is model 692-008

ectofix replied 7 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • ectofix

September 20, 2016 at 5:45 pm

From my brief internet search, the model number you gave is NOT the manufacturer’s model.  692-008 is an in-house model # assigned by an equipment distributor – Central Restaurant Products in Indianapolis, Indiana.

If I’m correct on that, then your range is a Southbend model # S60DD-2GL and it looks like this:

http://images.centralrestaurant.com/images/products/large/692-008.jpg

To answer your question – per the owner/installation manual, there must be 10″ of clearance between ALL sides of this unit and any combustibles (like wood).  Here’s the link to a copy of the installation manual –  http://southbendnc.com/downloads/manuals/Current/Ranges/1191904,REV2,S-SERIES,ENG,OWNERS,MANUAL.pdf.

Although the picture on its cover doesn’t look exactly like your range, yours is one of MANY possible configurations of a S-Series restaurant range.  So…this one manual covers them ALL.

So with that, I’ll throw a few other things out here:

You said you’re remodeling your kitchen.  If this kitchen is in a RESIDENCE, then there are distinct issues and legalities regarding the installation of a heavy duty commercial range in a home.  The manufacturer’s specification sheet for that range states that this unit is for COMMERCIAL USE ONLY.  Not for domestic use.  Here’s the link to a copy of that spec sheet – http://images.centralrestaurant.com/images/assets/specsheets/692-008.pdf.  There are reasons why they put that there.

The concerns aren’t just regarding its proximity to combustibles.  There’s also matters regarding:

The unit’s weight The heat it puts off and ventilation required for removing that heat The exhaust gases it expells as by-products of combustion The installation manual emphasizes the requirements for a suitable hood system In a commercial setting (for which this unit was designed), a fire suppression must be in place. Last, but not least, the unit requires a minimum-sized gas line to supply it (a size of gas pipe that most homes don’t have to the kitchen)

For guidance on proper installation of this commercial-grade range into a home, consult your local government regarding the regulatory codes that apply.

Some implications for NOT abiding by manufacturer’s prescribed installation instructions or the local codes:

Voiding the manufacturer’s warranty Loss of home insurance, or… No insurance coverage of an incident where losses were incurred due to a fire caused by this commercial range in your home