Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums General Hobart A-120 Mixer

• Hobart A-120 Mixer

Posted by Rob954 on February 20, 2024 at 2:56 pm

Hello is there someone that has experience working on this mixer. Works good in 3rd and 2 nd speed. 1st speed runs but I can stop planetary shaft with my hand. All keys are good. I suspect a problem with shifter. is there an adjustment for this Shifter unit.

Thanks

Robert

fixbear replied 2 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • fixbear

February 20, 2024 at 8:16 pm

It’s been a while, but as I recall there are 2 clutches on the shaft to the planetary. The bottom one is 2nd and 3rd. The top one is low and has a roller clutch with a key in it. But the ramps and rollers have to be right for it to grab. It’s basically a Sprague clutch. So make sure your motor rotation is correct. It will freewheel one direction.

• Rob954

February 21, 2024 at 5:57 am

Thanks for the reply, yes I think you’re right when dismantling, that part fell apart, we even lost one of the little spring. we ordered replacements springs and re-assembled. but we applied grease to everything

Question: are you suppose to put grease in this part.

Since mixer is 115 Volts, direction was not changed so that is not the problem.

Are these little springs going in front or behind the rollers if viewed from direction this clutch is turning

Thanks

Rob954

• fixbear

February 21, 2024 at 10:40 am

The springs push the rollers into the ramps to create friction. When the machine is in a faster gear the Sprague clutch has to slip. The springs are to lightly push the rollers into the narrow part of the ramp.

It’s not made for heavy grease, but gear oil 80W- 90 with extreme pressure additives for the brass worm gear.

• Rob954

February 23, 2024 at 11:41 am

Thanks for the reply, yes I think you’re right when dismantling, that part fell apart, we even lost one of the little spring. we ordered replacements springs and re-assembled. but we applied grease to everything

Question: are you suppose to put grease in this part.

Since mixer is 115 Volts, direction was not changed so that is not the problem.

Are these little springs going in front or behind the rollers if viewed from direction this clutch is turning

Thanks

Rob

• fixbear

February 23, 2024 at 9:09 pm

Is it possible the clutch is upside down? Grease should not prohibit it’s function, but worn rollers or ramps will.

• Rob954

February 24, 2024 at 8:29 am

Hello Fixbear problem is solve when you explained about the narrow side of the I went back and assembled properly added 80W-90 it started working perfect.

I did not notice there is a narrow side to the ramps

Thanks a lot for you help

Rob954

• fixbear

February 24, 2024 at 10:24 am

Glad to be able to help you.