Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums General Manitowoc id0523w evaporator no getting cold

Tagged: 

• Manitowoc id0523w evaporator no getting cold

Posted by pockets on August 26, 2023 at 9:52 pm

manitowoc id0523w water cooled evaporator not getting cold? first the pump wouldn’t operate. Did a deep cleaning and got it operating. Now water just constantly flows over the evaporator. I let it go for 15-20 mins turned it off and touched the evap. And seems like the same temp as the cold water. I touched every copper tube coming off the compressor and in and out the back of the evap. And their neither hot or cold? Any help appreciated thank you

fixbear replied 8 months ago 2 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • fixbear

August 26, 2023 at 10:17 pm

Are you sure it’s in Ice mode, not clean?

• pockets

August 27, 2023 at 4:16 am

got signed out somehow and missed your comment. But after plugging the machine back in after cleaning everything’s it’s plank blue screen for maybe 5 seconds a click and then reads

_________

Off

On/off

_________

I press the top left power button and it reads.

_________

Making ice

On/off mode

The pan fills with water not long after.Then the machine pauses for 10-15 seconds and begins pumping water up and over to the evap.

• pockets

August 27, 2023 at 10:10 am

The machine had been in storage since 2017 till now. The machine was then sold and this is the initial start up after I delivered and installed it in a garage. I’ve got the electric set up correctly with it power from its own 20 amp breakers. leveled the bin properly. A new everpure filter with 2 3/8 pex lines one before the filter to the condenser inlet the other 3/8 pex after the filter to the ice inlet. From the back of the machine looking forward the drain on the bottom left side is 1/2 pex 4” to a T fitting 18” of pex venting to the atmosphere straight up and down and 1/2 pex running straight down 90’s then a straight shot 5 feet over and a decline towards the drain the second drain does the same minus the vent tube. The bin drain runs 3/4 pvc straight over to the drain

• fixbear

August 27, 2023 at 12:26 pm

Do you know if the compressor is running. After the start up and water flush, the compressor should start. It will run till the bin is full or you get a error code. Make sure that the water fill is not leaking. Added incoming water from any loss will overwhelm the compressor capacity.

Being water cooled, 3/8 pex sounds a bit small. And the cooling side has to have separate plumbing that does not have to be filtered. Some of the machines have a manual reset if they loss cooling. Be a red button on the high side compressor discharge line.

If you don’t have a install and operation book, you can find one here: MAN-Indigo_iom.pdf (static-pt.com)

Service manual is here: MAN-Indigo_sm.pdf (static-pt.com)

Hopefully the head was never tipped on it’s side. If so, the sediment inside the compressor may get into the compressor suction and have to be replaced. But usually if that s the case, it would get hot and be tripping the overload. You say there is no heat anywhere, so it sounds like the relay for the compressor is not closing. Or there is a open to it.

• fixbear

August 27, 2023 at 12:34 pm

Do you know if the compressor is running. After the start up and water flush, the compressor should start. It will run till the bin is full or you get a error code. Make sure that the water fill is not leaking. Added incoming water from any loss will overwhelm the compressor capacity.

Being water cooled, 3/8 pex sounds a bit small. And the cooling side has to have separate plumbing that does not have to be filtered. Some of the machines have a manual reset if they loss cooling. Be a red button on the high side compressor discharge line.

If you don’t have a install and operation book, you can find one here: MAN-Indigo_iom.pdf (static-pt.com)

Service manual is here: MAN-Indigo_sm.pdf (static-pt.com)

Hopefully the head was never tipped on it’s side. If so, the sediment inside the compressor may get into the compressor suction and have to be replaced. But usually if that s the case, it would get hot and be tripping the overload. You say there is no heat anywhere, so it sounds like the relay for the compressor is not closing. Or there is a open to it.

By the way, refer to page 110 for the operation sequence. The compressor should come on for pre chill before the water pump starts. At about 5 seconds after boot. Being water cooled, you will definitely hear it.

• pockets

August 27, 2023 at 4:39 pm

I’m headed over there now to fire it up and see what it does. Now that you mention it the machine had been stored upright since it was taken out of service then the guy I’m Sellijg it for dug it out the back of the storage container and set it on a crate over top of one of those 1” perforated 5’x4’ rubber mats behind the restaurant the day before I was to come get it I pull in there and the head is laying on its side with the top cover missing he comes to the back and swears somebody tries to steal it found the top cover in the grass 100’ away sounds like that’s why it’s not running rite. just pulled up will update soon thanks for the help

• pockets

August 27, 2023 at 5:37 pm

I changed out the filter assembly bc it had a hair pin leak. Fired it up the compressor seams to run and has a low hum to it. But i immediately noticed there was no water drakning from the condenser outlet whatvso ever from when I turned it on till I turned it off after letting it run dumping water over the evap for a few mins. I checked To see if the compressor inlet was getting water and it is. I’m going to disconnect it and run the water to see if it maybe was air locked? Possibly dirty? There is a valve rite opposite the inlet in the machine with a 9/16 bolt for adjustment I have not messed with it. But the machine had lots of orange scale everywhere that took hours to clean maybe the valve or condenser is clogged?

• fixbear

August 28, 2023 at 11:35 am

You can open the water temp valve by using a flat blade screwdriver under the spring. Not knowing the past of the head is bad. It may have been cooled with anything from sea water to a closed chiller circuit. I’m not familiar with the water in your area. How hard it is and what minerals. But the orange color may be a clue as to where it was. Is it a dust or maybe a fungus. Fungus might mean a bakery. Also, people don’t part with working machines unless they went bankrupt. And if it ever freezes in your area, a off machine will freeze the condenser and break the internal heat exchanger. Very few people know enough to force open the water valve and use air to empty the coil.

Are you EPA certified?

The water valve will not open and flow water till the compressor discharge reaches the set point. The adjustment screw is to set the head pressure.

• pockets

August 28, 2023 at 3:17 pm

I am not. I do have the equipment that I use when I need to disconnect a refrigerant line when repairing vehicles and have done so successfully more times then I can remember. But i already told the owner if it turns out to be needing a repair concerning the refrigeration of the machine ill bring it back to him or he could call a service tech or w.e he decides to do from there on out. as for the history of the head it was purchased new in 2015 and used for 2 years in a pizza shop in central nj using well water. It was set up with and output before the filter for the condenser water feed and ice making feed after the filter I don’t know if the water ran through a filtration system rite off the well before feeding the building or not. The machine was working when it was taken out of service. Reason being the landlord wanted to raise the rent by triple of what it raised when the first 5 yr lease was up he countered but he wouldn’t budge. He was partners with his father in that second location but after ten years they decided to not sign the new lease and that’s how all the equipment ended up in storage. So as far as I know it ran on well water def was not cleaned as frequently as it’s suppose to be. i doubt the water was blown out out properly as well. Question if I have a malfunctioning compressor wouldn’t impede the flow of water through the valve and condenser and out the drain rite?I’ve read it’s the water pressure that is what forces the valve open? Yesterday I did remove the condenser drain fitting and looking in with a flash light it looked as though there was nothing but a pin hole through the scale build up. I grabbed a flat head and poked at it gently to poke at it gently and found it was scale build up I was scale building up before it drained out and not scaled solid through out like it looked tho it looses I removed the condenser water input fitting to have a look and see no scale of any kind for in that one area at least. I’m going to head over there after quitting time to try to get the valve working as you suggested. Thanks for the help i will update soon

• pockets

August 28, 2023 at 3:22 pm

Forgot you mentioned the valve won’t open if the compressor reaches the set point so that answers my question on if a malfunction compressor will impede the flow. Thank you

Page 1 of 2