Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Sharp Microwave model R8380 pcb mounted transformer part needed

• Sharp Microwave model R8380 pcb mounted transformer part needed

Posted by guest on February 27, 2017 at 12:00 am

Hi i want to replace my Sharp Microwave #R8380 pcb mounted transformer, i have a few pictures with the part number, hope some may shed light if this is a special build transformer or i can replace with any readily available but i am not sure its a 240 Volt 50 hetz, there is no other available information. Hope any one can help me on this issue. Thanks.

fixbear replied 7 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • ectofix

February 27, 2017 at 9:22 pm

Sorry, but you can’t get that here.  That’s a thirty year old microwave oven.  The days of ordering transistors, resistors and transformers mounted on a circuit board have long since passed.  Boards are so cheaply made nowadays, that ordering the whole board is the only economically practical item available in the parts support chain. 

For that matter, there’s absolutely NO parts support for household counter-top appliances anymore.  Commercial stuff?  Yes.  Domestic stuff?  No.

A board like that is either made by Sharp using individual parts from vendors who supply them…or the board is made by another company per Sharp’s specifications.  PartTOWN…and any other commercial parts appliance supplier, will sell only that end-item (the board) as it’s provided to them by the manufacturer.  So as a technician, if I called Sharp for part numbers to repair one of their ovens, they’d give me just a part number for the whole  board.  Nothing integral to that board would be offered.

Here’s a link for the thirty-year-old service manual on that oven.  Just follow the instructions to download the manual:

Sharp 8380 Service Manual

There IS a part number for T1 transformer in that old manual.  T1 is part number RTRNPA023DRE0.  Note that, in this age of computers and web searches, look at any O (oh) as a 0 (zero).  Try it both ways though to see what you can get.  Probably nothing though.

You’ll need to call Sharp at 800-237-4277 to see if they even supply that part anymore.  Otherwise, I don’t see markings on it to ID who actually made that little transformer to get one that way.

• rudit

February 28, 2017 at 4:31 am

Thanks Ectofix,

I was about to throw away this unit ,  but thought of giving it a crack. By the way the link and part number you gave is for R3820 unit/ . Appreciate that link Sharp R-8380 Service Manual (Page 38 of 50) 

The Schematic is so blurry. Hope i can get a correct replacement for that low votage transformer.

Cheers.

• fixbear

February 28, 2017 at 7:30 am

Electronic houses like Allied, MCA, or Newark may  have one.  You can go around with the manufacturer and find distributors that have bough that unit.  Did that once for a power board that was $12,000 rebuilt $9,000.  Found the last 4 replacement power regulators in Sweden. Then had to find someone to speak German to order one. Cost of repair a whopping $426. Customer thinks I’m super.

• techjoeb

February 28, 2017 at 10:10 am

I’m just surprised anyone knows how to troubleshoot down to the component. That transformer (if you are just trying to replace it ) should be replaceable on it’s own. Make sure the correct voltage is coming to the transformer before you get another one. You’ll just kill the new one as soon as you install it. Good luck on this science project! 

• fixbear

February 28, 2017 at 11:19 am

Over voltage is the biggest cause of transformer death. Over current is second. And extended low voltage third. The board looks to be a simple one with power coming into the 3 side leg of the  Transformer and the relays.  The other side is for power regulation and relay power.  Two different voltages, most likely 12 for the relays and 5 or 6 for the control. 

I believe he has a MOV on the top right near the power plug that limits the over voltage.  Control transformers have very light wires in them, and often burn off at the terminal connections. And yes, I’ve cut a few open and repaired them. Big magnifier, insulating lacquer, and steady hands.

The biggest problem now is that they have gone to surface mount technology. Makes it much more difficult and requires a special method of soldering and de-soldering. Hot air machine, microscope, precision station.  .