Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Special Tools For Jobs

• Special Tools For Jobs

Posted by guest on February 23, 2017 at 12:00 am

So I just commented on a post about a tool made by a manufacturer for install. Does anyone have some examples of custom tools used to install parts? My personal favorite is: APW Wyott 3023300 TOOL GREASE SEAL EXPANDER | Parts Town  No matter how many times I have told a tech to order it to make their life easier they fight it and call back and order it anyway. Saves hours of time! 

-Joe 

gregct replied 6 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 32 Replies
  • 32 Replies
  • fixbear

February 23, 2017 at 11:25 am

Made many tools for special jobs over the years. Why we had a machine shop.

• techjoeb

February 23, 2017 at 11:36 am

I bet that comes in handy. In-shop welders or welding capabilities are awesome. 

• fixbear

February 23, 2017 at 12:15 pm

Lathes, milling machine, surface grinder, Sunnen hone and acsess to a colledge machine lab with water jet, and CNC equipment

• techjoeb

February 23, 2017 at 12:18 pm

Some guys just use JB weld and some duct tape. 

• fixbear

February 23, 2017 at 12:38 pm

You laugh at JB weld, but in the early eighties I was hired to a shaker screen.  11 inch roller bearing with a loose fit in the housing.  Housing to thin to bore out and sleeve,  Found a outfit in England that had a special epoxy system ($2500 and that was half price) that we could prep the housing, coat the bearing with a release, mix and fill the housing around the bearing. Customer bought the kit, used it for years to repair pump shafts and housings, and scored hydraulic cylinders. Was even used in Britain to replace a broken prop blade on a 44 ft propeller that loss 1/3 of a blade. would take months to build and replace the original.

• techjoeb

February 23, 2017 at 1:37 pm

I don’t kid on the JB Weld man. It has saved me professionally and at home after a kid has broken something I can fix in 15 minutes. 

• fixbear

February 23, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Epoxies and glues have come a long way  in the last few years.  The key is to do proper prep and design the right one for the application.  There is no one that will do it all. 

• techjoeb

February 23, 2017 at 4:44 pm

This one for the chain is cool. PN 9134 Chain breaker tool for Nieco 

• fixbear

February 23, 2017 at 5:05 pm

That’s not a special.  Anyone that has used bulk roller chain will have at least one

• izzygreen

February 24, 2017 at 8:04 am

With the  new Hobart Legacy mixers there are a whole slew of custom tools needed (according to the service manuals) to service the transmission or motor

Page 1 of 4